Which course covers basic DC electricity concepts and includes laboratory work?

In summary: So, in summary, it is recommended to take the second course, DC Circuits, as it covers roughly the same material as the first course but with the added benefit of a lab component. This will help you to better understand the concepts and prepare you for your real course, Electric Circuit Analysis.
budala
Which course is more appropriate as an Introductory Electrcity Circuit Course?

ENGI12578 - Electricity 1

Examine the important concepts of DC electricity as an essential background for further electrical and electronic studies. Integrating laboratory work and problem solving, learn about circuits and meters, basic electrical quantities&*#44; Ohm's Law, power and resistors. Explore parallel circuits, series-parallel and simple voltage-divider circuits, and resistance of wire conductors.

OR
DC Circuits

Course Number: ELIC 101

An introductory section on basic concepts of electricity and current flow leads to the analysis of series, parallel, and series-parallel circuits. Classical circuit theorems are introduced to calculate the current or voltage in resistive networks. Power and efficiency are studied. Capacitors are studied in a simple DC environment and sinusoidal waves are introduced. Complementary laboratory work includes the use of multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, signal generators and the Wheatstone bridge.

Physics news on Phys.org
They appear to cover roughly the same material. The only difference I can see is that the second also requires a lab.

If you're working toward a EE degree, you should have a curriculum outline which will tell you which classes to take. If you're not working on an EE degree, you will probably need to tell us more about what you hope to gain from a basic circuits class, so we can select one of the two for you.

- Warren

This is my course outline;
Which one of the above two courses would be better to help me for my course? Yes, I am working towards my EE Degree (1st semester)

Electric Circuit Analysis

This course is a one semester introductory course in electric circuit analysis. The topics covered include the following: circuit variables and elements, resistive circuits, methods of circuit analysis, circuit theorems, energy storage elements, transient responses of RL & RC circuits, sinusoidal steady state analysis, and AC steady state power concepts

1. Basic Concepts

Systems of Units
Charge & Current
Voltage
Power of Energy
(4)

2. Basic Laws

Ohms Laws
Kirchhoffs Laws
Voltage & Current Division
Wye/ Delta Conversion
(6)

3. Methods of Analysis

Nodal Analysis
Mesh Analysis
(6)
4. Circuit Theorems

Linearity property
Superposition Theorem
Thevenins Theorem
Nortons Theorem
Maximum Power Transfer
(8)

5. Capacitors & inductors

Physical construction and electrical characteristics Of C & L
Series and parallel combinations of C & L
(4)

6. First-Order Circuits

Source-Free RC circuit
Source-Free RL circuit
Step Responses of RC and RL circuits
(8)

7. Sinusoidal & Phasors

Sinusoids & Phasors
Phasor Relationships of circuit elements
Impedance & Admittance
Kirchhoffs Laws in Frequency domain
(8)

8. Sinusoidal Steady-State Analysis

Nodal & Mesh Analysis
Source conversion
Superposition Theorem
Thevenins & Nortons equivalent circuits
(6)

9. AC Power Analysis

Instantaneous & Average Power
RMS value
Complex Power & Power Factor
Power factor correction
(6)

10. Review

Last edited:
Now you've listed another class, which seems a bit more advanced than the others. I don't understand why you listed it, though.

So you're expected to take both of these classes (ENGI12578 and ELIC 101), and you're just asking which we think you should take first? I'm afraid I really don't understand your situation.

- Warren

I guess I have difficulties expressing myself, but the point was;

The last course is my real course that I have to take towards my EE degree.
I want to take one of the first two courses to help me to do better in my real (3rd description) course.

I am not obliged to take any of the first two courses, I just want to take one before I take my real course.
Sorry if I complicated things more than I wanted to, but expression difficulty is obvious. Thank you.

In general, if you don't mind labs and have the time, do the course which has an associated lab. You'll learn a lot from a lab.

- Warren

Thank you very much for your advice. I don't mind doing labs if I have to.

1. What is an EE student?

An EE student is a student who is majoring in Electrical Engineering, a field of study that focuses on the design, development, and application of electrical systems and devices.

2. What do EE students study?

EE students study a variety of subjects including circuits, electronics, digital systems, signal processing, electromagnetics, and computer engineering.

3. What skills are important for EE students?

EE students should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and physics. They should also have strong technical skills in areas such as circuit design, programming, and data analysis.

4. What career opportunities are available for EE students?

EE students can pursue a variety of career paths, including roles in industries such as telecommunications, energy, manufacturing, and healthcare. They can also work in research and development, consulting, or academia.

5. Is it necessary to have prior experience in electrical engineering to become an EE student?

No, it is not necessary to have prior experience in electrical engineering to become an EE student. However, having a strong foundation in math and science can be beneficial for success in this field of study.