About a course - Should I take it?

• Courses
  • Thread starter physiker99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the person is seeking opinions on taking an Intro to MEMS course, which covers topics such as microelectromechanical systems design and fabrication, integrated circuit devices, and microscale issues. The prerequisites for the course include a class on Electronic Techniques for Engineers, which introduces basic concepts of electrical engineering and semiconductor devices. The person is unsure if they should take the course due to their lack of knowledge in topics such as Thevenin, MOSFETs, and CMOS. The response suggests that if the person is interested in the topic, they should take the course and that the concepts will be introduced from the beginning. Some suggested reading includes basic knowledge of MOS transistors, fabrication technology, and circuit theory.
physiker99
Hello,
I have interest on a course and I would like your opinions. I don't have much of an electronics lab experience except for freshman physics labs. I just finished my sophomore year.

I'd like to take an Intro to MEMS course, whose syllabus is as below:
Fundamentals of microelectromechanical systems including design, fabrication of microstructures; surface-micromachining, bulk-micromachining, LIGA, and other micro machining processes; fabrication principles of integrated circuit device and their applications for making MEMS devices; high-aspect-ratio microstructures; scaling issues in the micro scale (heat transfer, fluid mechanics and solid mechanics); device design, analysis, and mask layout.

As prerequisites, it requires a another class called Electronic Techniques for Engineers:
This course serves as an introduction to the principles of electrical engineering, starting from the basic concepts of voltage and current and circuit elements of resistors, capacitors, and inductors. Circuit analysis is taught using Kirchhoff's voltage and current laws with Thevenin and Norton equivalents. Operational amplifiers with feedback are introduced as basic building blocks for amplification and filtering. Semiconductor devices including diodes and MOSFETS and their IV characteristics are covered. Applications of diodes for rectification, and design of MOSFETs in common source amplifiers are taught. Digital logic gates and design using CMOS as well as simple flip-flops are introduced. Speed and scaling issues for CMOS are considered. The course includes as motivating examples designs of high level applications including logic circuits, amplifiers, power supplies, and communication links.

I definitely have no idea about Thevenin, MOSFETS CMOS etc. Do you think I should take it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

if you are really interested in the topic then go for it.
MEMS is rather interdisciplinary, so basically the concepts would be introduced from the beginnings. I found my MEMS lecture to be fun.

What you should be familiar with (you can read it up,, nothing difficult):

-MOS transistor : aka MOSFET, basis of the CMOS
-Fabrication Technology: How MOSFETs are made
-Very basic circuit theory

The standard books for semiconductor devices are by Simon Sze, but you won't need these.
If you would like reading suggestions that are more suitable for you then let me know, so I can look further into my book shelf.

Related to About a course - Should I take it?

1. Should I take this course if I have no prior experience in the subject?

It depends on your level of interest and commitment to learning. If you are willing to put in the effort and have a genuine interest in the subject, then you can definitely take the course. However, if you have no interest or motivation, it may not be the best fit.

2. How much time should I expect to spend on this course per week?

The amount of time you should spend on the course per week may vary depending on the course and your learning style. It is recommended to budget at least 3-4 hours per week for studying and completing assignments.

3. Will I receive a certificate or credit for completing this course?

It depends on the course and the institution offering it. Some courses may offer a certificate of completion, while others may offer college credit. Be sure to check the course description or contact the institution for more information.

4. What resources and materials are needed for this course?

The required resources and materials may vary depending on the course and the institution offering it. Some courses may require textbooks or specific software, while others may provide all necessary materials online. It is important to check the course description or syllabus for a list of required materials.

5. Will I have access to a teacher or tutor for help and feedback?

It depends on the course and the institution offering it. Some courses may have a teacher or tutor available for help and feedback, while others may be self-paced with no direct interaction. Be sure to check the course description or contact the institution for more information on the level of support provided.