What happens to the eigenvalues when a constant is multiplied to a matrix?

• Thread starter Cosmossos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, eigenvalues are special numbers associated with a square matrix that represent the scaling factor of a vector when the matrix is applied to it. They are important for understanding linear transformations and optimization problems. To calculate eigenvalues, you need to find the characteristic polynomial and solve for its roots. Eigenvalues can be complex numbers because of the characteristic polynomial's roots. Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors to eigenvalues and represent the directions of scaling in a linear transformation. In data analysis, eigenvalues are used to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset and identify important features through techniques like principal component analysis.
Cosmossos
Hello,
Let's say I have a 2x2 matrix,we call it A with the eigenvalues +1 , -1.
Now I let's define that m=m0*A. (m0 is const).
Are the eigenvalues become +m0 and -m0?
If so why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because if [tex]\lambda[/tex] satisfies [tex]det(A-\lambda I)=0[/tex] then [tex]\lambda'=m_{0}\lambda[/tex] satisfies [tex]det(M-\lambda' I)=0[/tex], with [tex]M=\lambda' A[/tex]
You simply multiply the equation by [tex]m^{2}_{0}[/tex] (and under the determinant it becomes just [tex]m_{0}[/tex])/
Therefore [tex]m_{0}\lambda[/tex] are eigenvalues of [tex]m_{0}A[/tex].

Related to What happens to the eigenvalues when a constant is multiplied to a matrix?

What are eigenvalues and why are they important?

Eigenvalues are special numbers associated with a square matrix that represent the scaling factor by which a vector is multiplied when the matrix is applied to it. They are important because they help us understand the behavior of linear transformations and identify critical points in optimization problems.

How do I calculate eigenvalues?

To calculate eigenvalues, you first need to find the characteristic polynomial of the matrix. Then, solve for the roots of the polynomial, which are the eigenvalues.

Can eigenvalues be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvalues can be complex numbers. This is because the characteristic polynomial can result in complex roots, which correspond to complex eigenvalues.

What is the relationship between eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors to eigenvalues. They represent the directions in which a linear transformation scales. The eigenvalue is the factor by which the eigenvector is scaled when the transformation is applied.

How are eigenvalues used in data analysis?

Eigenvalues are used in data analysis to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset. By finding the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of a dataset, we can identify the most important features and reduce the number of dimensions without losing much information. This is commonly used in techniques like principal component analysis.