How is mass density affected by speeds near c?

In summary, the relationship between mass density at "zero" speed and mass density at speeds nearing the speed of light is represented by the form M = \gamma Mo, where gamma is squared for relativistic mass/volume. This means that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass density increases exponentially.
elliottmarter
basically what is the relationship between mass density at "zero" speed and mass density at speeds nearing the speed of light (0.98c,0.99c etc)

in the form M = [tex]\gamma[/tex] Mo if possible

Thanks a lot guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry just saw that this should have gone in the H/W section :uhh:

elliottmarter said:
M = [tex]\gamma[/tex] Mo
Isn't that the answer to your own question?

well, i mean i took a guess that it takes that form, but is gamma squared or cubed?...anything that could change the proportionality...you know :)

cheers

elliottmarter said:
well, i mean i took a guess that it takes that form, but is gamma squared or cubed?...anything that could change the proportionality...you know :)
If by "mass density" you mean "relativistic mass / volume" then yes, gamma is squared:

gamma = 2 means that a moving object has half the volume, but also double relativistic mass, so 4 time more "mass density".

ah i see!

thanks a lot, i think i will be frequenting these forums often in the future

1. How does the speed of an object near c affect its mass density?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases. This means that the mass density of the object also increases, as the mass is spread out over a larger area due to the increase in size.

2. Is the mass density of an object affected by its direction of motion near c?

No, the mass density of an object is not affected by its direction of motion near the speed of light. The increase in mass is solely dependent on the object's speed, not its direction of travel.

3. How is the mass density of an object near c different from its rest mass density?

The rest mass density of an object is its mass at rest, when it is not moving. However, as the object approaches the speed of light, its mass density increases due to its increased speed. This means that the mass density of an object near c is greater than its rest mass density.

4. Does the mass density of an object continue to increase as it approaches the speed of light?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, the mass of an object increases infinitely as it approaches the speed of light. However, this does not mean that the object's density also increases infinitely, as there are other factors that affect density such as volume and shape.

5. How does the mass density of an object near c affect its energy?

The increase in mass density near the speed of light also affects the object's energy. As the object's mass increases, so does its energy, which is why objects moving at high speeds near c have a lot of energy. This is also the basis for Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, where c is the speed of light.