Register to reply

Derivation of telegrapher's equations

by phygiks
Tags: derivation, equations, telegrapher
Share this thread:
phygiks
Mar28-14, 01:20 PM
P: 16
When deriving telegrapher's equations using Kirchhoff current/voltage laws (this equivalent circuit), are the shunt capacitance and shunt conductance in parallel? I assume not, and if not, are they in parallel with the voltages at each corresponding end? I am confused by this; in Pozar's derivations, he assumes the latter when using Kirchhoff current law. I always have trouble determining what is parallel with what, especially in ICs. Can anyone elucidate this for me?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
UltrafastPED
Mar29-14, 05:19 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
See http://www.math.ubc.ca/~feldman/apps/telegrph.pdf
phygiks
Mar29-14, 02:34 PM
P: 16
Thanks for the derivation although I think my questions are still unanswered. When calculating the losses through the resistor and capacitor, he uses voltage 'u' for both. Is this u(x,t)? Both the capacitor and resistor are at this voltage, so in parallel? What about the voltage at u(x+dc,t)?

Register to reply