Is the sum of this series correct?

• Thread starter opticaltempest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
The sum of the series is equal to the sum of the first series when n=1, minus the first two terms of the sequence. Therefore, the sum of the series when n=3 is equal to the sum of the first series when n=1, minus 1 and 1/9. In summary, the sum of the series is equal to π^2/8 minus 1 and 1/9.
opticaltempest
I am given the following series and its sum
[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{\left( {2n - 1} \right)^2 }}} = \frac{{\pi ^2 }}{8}
[/tex]
I need to find the sum of this series
[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = 3}^\infty {\frac{1}{{\left( {2n - 1} \right)^2 }}}
[/tex]

Is the method I used below this the correct approach? Is there a better or different way?

From the first series where n=1 we have,

[tex]
a_n = \frac{1}{{\left( {2n - 1} \right)^2 }}
[/tex]

[tex]
= {\rm{\{ 1, 1/9, 1/25, }}...{\rm{\} }}
[/tex]

Therefore I concluded that we can subtract off the first two terms of
the above sequence to get the sum when n starts at 3. Hence,

[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = 3}^\infty {\frac{1}{{\left( {2n - 1} \right)^2 }}} = \frac{{\pi ^2 }}{8} - 1 - \frac{1}{9}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is correct.

1. What is the sum of a series in mathematics?

The sum of a series in mathematics is the result obtained by adding up all the terms in the series. It is also known as the total or the sum total of the series.

2. How do I know if the sum of a series is correct?

To ensure the correctness of the sum of a series, you can use mathematical techniques such as convergence tests, comparison tests, or ratio tests. These tests help in determining whether the series converges or diverges, and if it converges, then to which value.

3. What happens if the sum of a series is incorrect?

If the sum of a series is incorrect, it means that the mathematical calculation was not done accurately. This could be due to errors in the calculations or using the wrong formula. It is essential to double-check the calculations to ensure the accuracy of the sum.

4. Can the sum of an infinite series be correct?

Yes, the sum of an infinite series can be correct. However, it is not always easy to determine the sum of an infinite series. In some cases, the sum may not exist, or it may be an irrational number. Therefore, it is crucial to use convergence tests to determine the correctness of the sum.

5. How can I use the sum of a series in real-world applications?

The sum of a series has various real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and computer science. For example, in finance, the sum of a series can be used to calculate compound interest, while in physics, it can be used to determine the total distance traveled by an object. In computer science, it can be used to analyze the performance of algorithms and data structures.