Grad Schools in Canada for Computational Physics Student

In summary, the conversation discusses options for getting into graduate school for physics with a GPA of 3.4. The speaker advises that finding a mentor with interesting projects and gaining research experience are more important than GPA. They also share their own experience of being accepted into grad school with a lower GPA due to having a supportive mentor. The conversation ends with a question about the current status of a specific professor.
andytran
Hi,

I'm a third year computational physics student at UofA.
I started looking into grad school for physics but I'm not so sure if i can make it into any good grad school with my not so good gpa (around 3.4 ish).
I have no research experience, however I'm planning on being an assistant for my astrophysics prof this summer.

So what options do you think i have regarding grad school?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting into a graduate program isn't quite so much about GPA as it is finding a mentor who have interesting projects to work on and is willing to become your supervisor. get as much experience as you can out of your summer research. GPA helps, but having good letters of recommendation, good research experience and someone who will say "yeah, I'll take this guy on as a grad student" plays a bigger role.

I made it into grad school at U of A with about a 6.7/9.0 coming out of undergrad. Hardly stellar grades compared with most of my other classmates, but one thing I did have was a prof willing to take me on as a grad student when I applied.

BTW, is Kernihan still teaching astrophysics there?

thanks for the reply!

Kernahan is still here, but doesn't seem like he still teaching astro anymore.

Related to Grad Schools in Canada for Computational Physics Student

What is computational physics?

Computational physics is a branch of physics that uses computer simulations and numerical methods to solve complex physical problems. It combines principles from physics, mathematics, and computer science to model and analyze physical systems.

What are some top graduate schools in Canada for computational physics?

Some top graduate schools in Canada for computational physics include the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, McGill University, University of Waterloo, and the University of Alberta. These schools have strong research programs and faculty in the field of computational physics.

What are the admission requirements for graduate school in Canada for computational physics?

Admission requirements for graduate school in Canada for computational physics may vary depending on the specific program and university. However, most programs will require a strong undergraduate background in physics, mathematics, and computer science, as well as letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and possibly GRE scores.

What research opportunities are available for graduate students in computational physics in Canada?

There are many research opportunities available for graduate students in computational physics in Canada. These may include working on projects with faculty, conducting independent research, and participating in collaborations with other institutions or industry partners. Many schools also offer funding opportunities for research projects.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of computational physics programs in Canada?

Graduates of computational physics programs in Canada have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They may work in research and development roles in various industries, such as aerospace, energy, or technology. They may also pursue careers in academia, government agencies, or data analysis and modeling. The skills gained from a computational physics program can also be applied to other fields, such as finance and healthcare.