Latex - how to get non-italic UK pound sign

In summary, to get a non-italic UK "pound" sign in LaTeX using MikTex, use the txfonts package instead of times. The times package is obsolete and may not provide all the necessary glyphs.
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Latex - how to get non-italic UK "pound" sign

I'm using MikTex. When I do

\usepackage{times}

and then use \pound or \textsterling in non-maths mode, I get the italic version of the "pound" symbol from the Times Roman font. I want a non-italic pound symbol.

I also get this message in the .log file

LaTeX Font Info: Font shape `OT1/ptm/m/ui' in size <10> not available
(Font) Font shape `OT1/ptm/m/it' tried instead

I guess this is something to do with the font encoding, system not the font itself. The standard Time Roman fonts certainly include both "roman" and "italic" shaped pound symbols. Gee, even MS Word can display them so it can't be hard :rolleyes:

How can I get the symbol that I want, not the symbol LaTeX thinks I ought to want?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the txfonts package instead of times. The times package is obsolete--it does not change the font used for typesetting mathematics, and it evidently does not provide all of the glyphs defined in LaTeX's internal character representation. I was able to duplicate your problem with the times package; when I replaced it with the txfonts package, the "\textsterling" command seems to generate the character that you want.

Last edited:
Thanks, that worked :smile:

1. How do I make the UK pound sign non-italic in Latex?

To make the UK pound sign non-italic in Latex, you can use the \textsterling command. This will produce a non-italic pound sign in your document.

2. Why does the UK pound sign appear italicized in my Latex document?

The UK pound sign may appear italicized in Latex because it is a special character and is therefore affected by the font style being used. To make it non-italic, you can use the \textsterling command as mentioned above.

3. Can I use a different command to make the UK pound sign non-italic in Latex?

Yes, you can also use the \pounds command to produce a non-italic pound sign in your document. Both \textsterling and \pounds are commonly used for this purpose.

4. Is there a way to change the font style of the UK pound sign in Latex?

Yes, you can change the font style of the UK pound sign in Latex by using different font packages. For example, the fontspec package allows you to choose from a variety of fonts for your document, including those with non-italic pound signs.

5. How can I ensure that the UK pound sign remains non-italic when using it in math mode in Latex?

To make sure that the UK pound sign remains non-italic when using it in math mode in Latex, you can use the \mathsterling command. This will produce a non-italic pound sign that is also compatible with math equations.