Homework question- kinematics in two dimension

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a physics problem involving a ball being thrown horizontally from a building. The question is to find the height of the building. The person asking for help has not attempted any solutions yet. The expert suggests reading the rules and provides a helpful thread for reference. They also give hints on how to solve the problem, such as resolving the ball's motion into horizontal and vertical components and using the formula s = ut + 0.5a(t^2) to find the height.
Infamous_01
Ok I am stuck on how to solve this problem and i don't have physics again until next week. The question is:

A ball is thrown horizontally at 22m/s from the roof of a building lands 36.0m from he base of the building. How tall is the building?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you attempted so far?

ive tried nothing and I am all out of ideas

I can give you some hints. Resolve the ball's motion into the horizontal and vertical components.

For the horizontal component, you already have the initial velocity and the horizontal distance traveled (36.0m). Find the time taken for the ball to fall.

Now that you have this, use it for the vertical component. In the following formula:

s = ut + 0.5a(t^2)

s is the vertical height.

You should be able to solve your problem now. :)

1. What is kinematics in two dimensions?

Kinematics in two dimensions is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects as they move along two perpendicular axes.

2. How do I solve kinematics problems in two dimensions?

To solve kinematics problems in two dimensions, you can use equations of motion such as the kinematic equations or the Pythagorean theorem. It is important to carefully identify the known and unknown variables and use the correct equations to solve for the desired quantity.

3. What are the key concepts in kinematics in two dimensions?

The key concepts in kinematics in two dimensions include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and projectile motion. Displacement is the change in position of an object, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and projectile motion is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity.

4. How does kinematics in two dimensions relate to real-life situations?

Kinematics in two dimensions is used to analyze the motion of objects in real-life situations, such as the flight of a projectile or the movement of a car on a curved road. Understanding kinematics in two dimensions can help us predict and control the motion of various objects in our daily lives.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving kinematics problems in two dimensions?

Some common mistakes when solving kinematics problems in two dimensions include mixing up the direction of motion, using incorrect equations, and not properly converting units. It is important to carefully read and interpret the given information and use the correct equations and units for accurate solutions.