Projectile Motion - Finding Ini. Vel. using Range and Angle

In summary, when calculating the initial speed required for a quarterback to throw a football to a stationary receiver 31.5m away at an initial angle of 40.0 degrees, the negative sign for gravity is not necessary to include in the range equation as it has already been accounted for in solving for time in the equation of final velocity.
Tearsandrille

Homework Statement

A quarterback throws the football to a stationary receiver who is 31.5m down the field. If the football is thrown at an initial angle of 40.0 degrees to the ground, at what initial speed must the quarterback throw the ball for it to reach the receiver, if the ball is caught at the same level it was thrown?

Homework Equations

R = (Vo2*sin(2*theta))/g

The Attempt at a Solution

The issue I am having is that if gravity is negative I don't get a real number, but I can not understand or explain why gravity would be positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tearsandrille! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
Tearsandrille said:
R = (Vo2*sin(2*theta))/g

Did you just copy that equation from a book? :redface:

Yes it's correct, but you'll never be able to remember equations like that in the exam, and anyway you need to be able to prove them yourself …

solve the simultaneous equations for the x and y directions (eliminating t), and you'll see why it doesn't matter that g is negative. :wink:

No, I did not just copy the equation from the book. I did derive it using the fact that R = Vxinitial*t and t = (2Vosin θ)/g (which I derived from t = (Vf - Vi)/-g)

So, the reason that I don't need to worry about the negative when I use the range equation is that I already compensated for that when I solved for t in the equation Vf=Vi + gt.

Thank you.

Tearsandrille said:
So, the reason that I don't need to worry about the negative when I use the range equation is that I already compensated for that when I solved for t in the equation Vf=Vi + gt.

Yup! :smile:

As a scientist, it is important to understand the context in which the equations are used. In this case, the equation you have provided is for the horizontal range of a projectile, assuming that the initial velocity is perpendicular to the ground and there is no air resistance. In this case, gravity is acting in the vertical direction, which is why it is negative in the equation.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation for the vertical displacement of a projectile:

y = yo + vo*t - (1/2)gt^2

Where:
y is the vertical displacement (in this case, it is 0 since the ball is caught at the same level it was thrown)
yo is the initial vertical position (in this case, it is also 0)
vo is the initial vertical velocity (we are solving for this)
t is the time it takes for the ball to reach the receiver (we can find this using the horizontal range and the initial horizontal velocity)

We can rearrange the equation to solve for vo:

vo = (R*sin(theta))/t + (1/2)gt

Substituting in the given values:
R = 31.5m
theta = 40 degrees
t = R/(vo*cos(theta))

Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

vo = (31.5m*sin(40 degrees))/((31.5m)/(vo*cos(40 degrees))) + (1/2)(9.8m/s^2)(31.5m)/(vo*cos(40 degrees))

Simplifying, we get:

vo = 16.8m/s

Therefore, the initial speed at which the quarterback must throw the ball is 16.8m/s. It is important to note that this is the magnitude of the initial velocity, and the direction will depend on the angle at which the ball is thrown.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is subject only to the force of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How do you find the initial velocity of a projectile using range and angle?

To find the initial velocity of a projectile, you can use the formula: V0 = R / (cosθ * √(g/2)), where V0 is the initial velocity, R is the range, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. What is the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance traveled by the object before it hits the ground. It is dependent on the initial velocity, launch angle, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the launch angle affect the range of a projectile?

The launch angle directly affects the range of a projectile. A launch angle of 45 degrees will result in the maximum range, while a launch angle of 0 degrees (horizontal) or 90 degrees (vertical) will result in no range. Any other angle will result in a range between these two extremes.

5. Can the initial velocity of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can be negative if it is launched in the downward direction. This would happen if the launch angle is greater than 90 degrees or if the object is thrown downwards from a height. However, in most cases, the initial velocity is assumed to be positive as it is launched upwards.