Mass Transfer - Need help on setting it up

In summary, the porous ceramic sphere is surrounded by a concentric solid spherical surface. Species A reacts at the surface r=R2, according to A-->B(s). Species B is deposited as a solid film by this reaction, which is first order.The partial pressure of species A at the reaction surface r=R2 is derived using boundary conditions that specify that the pressure is equal at r=R1 and r=R2.
dweeegs

Homework Statement

Not looking for solutions, just confused with the problem set up. Need help with the boundary conditions. Here it is:

A porous ceramic sphere of radius R1 is kept saturated with a pure component liquid A. The vapor pressure of A is 50 torr. This sphere is surrounded by a concentric solid spherical surface of radius R2. Species A reacts at the surface r=R2, according to A-->B(s). Species B is deposited as a solid film by this reaction, which is first order.

Assume that the system is in a steady state, and derive an expression for the partial pressure of species A at the reaction surface r=R2. Assume that the space between the two spheres is isothermal and at a uniform pressure of one atmosphere.

AND the professor gave us some extra info:

Because the reaction rate is finite, you must specify a 3rd type boundary condition on the reactive surface. Assume that the space between the two spheres contains an ideal gas. Solve for the concentration profile and use this expression to obtain the requested result

2. Homework Equations and attempt at a solution

D∇^2*Ca + Ra = 0

Where D = diffusivity. That's the above equation that I have reduced already from its original form.

For starters, I'm assuming no huge velocities, steady state (no time derivative), and from now on I will represent the concentration gradient by dCa/dr, since now I will be assuming mass transfer is in the radial direction only. Spherical coordinates will also be introduced.

For first order kinetics, Ra = -kCa. Rewriting everything consider what I just said,

D*[(1/r^2) d/dr*(r^2 * dCa/dr)] - kCa = 0

I am sure I can solve this... but I don't have the right boundary conditions because I don't quite get the physics of the problem.

Here are my guesses at boundary conditions for the above equation

Boundary Condition #1: at r=R1, Pa = Pao (the partial pressure is as specified; ie 50 torr. This is converted to concentration using the ideal gas law: Ca = (Pao)/RT)

Boundary Condition #2 (the 3rd type BC): Would it be that the flux (Na) at r=R2 would be equal to the diffusivity times the concentration gradient?

I'm not sure what a third type boundary condition in mass transfer is. We haven't gone over that.

Thank you for any help. I don't want assistance in solving the differential equation, just the boundary conditions

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your differential equation is incorrect. There is no chemical reaction occurring except at the boundary. The rate of reaction at the boundary is in moles/cm^2/sec, and is proportional to the concentration of A. So the rate constant is in units of cm/sec. The diffusional flux of A at the boundary has to match the rate at which A is consumed by chemical reaction per unit area at the boundary.

Chestermiller said:
Your differential equation is incorrect. There is no chemical reaction occurring except at the boundary. The rate of reaction at the boundary is in moles/cm^2/sec, and is proportional to the concentration of A. So the rate constant is in units of cm/sec. The diffusional flux of A at the boundary has to match the rate at which A is consumed by chemical reaction per unit area at the boundary.

So let me if I understand you correctly,

The reaction isn't occurring while the gas is diffusing, thus Ra isn't included in the differential equation. However it is introduced when we consider our boundery condition?

Something along the lines of:

-D(dCa/dr) = kCa at r=R2

Is that correct? Thank you for the help. I was looking at another example of diffusion within a film in which there was homogenous reaction.

dweeegs said:
So let me if I understand you correctly,

The reaction isn't occurring while the gas is diffusing, thus Ra isn't included in the differential equation. However it is introduced when we consider our boundery condition?

Something along the lines of:

-D(dCa/dr) = kCa at r=R2

Is that correct? Thank you for the help. I was looking at another example of diffusion within a film in which there was homogenous reaction.

Yes. This is exactly correct.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. This is exactly correct.

Thank you!

1. What is Mass Transfer and why is it important?

Mass transfer is the movement of substances from one location to another. In scientific terms, it is the transfer of mass from one phase to another phase. This process is important because it plays a crucial role in many natural and industrial processes, such as diffusion in living organisms, purification of water, and separation of mixtures in the chemical industry.

2. How do you set up a Mass Transfer experiment?

The setup of a Mass Transfer experiment depends on the specific process being studied. Generally, it involves creating a system where a substance can transfer from one phase to another, such as through a membrane or across a boundary. The setup also requires measuring and controlling parameters such as temperature, pressure, and concentration to accurately observe the mass transfer process.

3. What are the different types of Mass Transfer?

There are three main types of Mass Transfer: diffusion, convection, and dispersion. Diffusion is the movement of particles from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. Convection is the transfer of mass due to fluid flow. Dispersion is the combination of both diffusion and convection, resulting in a mixture of substances.

4. What factors affect Mass Transfer?

The rate of Mass Transfer is influenced by several factors, including the properties of the substances involved, the surface area available for transfer, the concentration gradient, the temperature, and the presence of any barriers or obstacles. These factors can impact the efficiency and speed of the mass transfer process.

5. How is Mass Transfer used in industry?

Mass Transfer is an essential process in many industrial applications, including the production of pharmaceuticals, food and beverages, and chemical products. It is used in purification processes, separation of mixtures, and extraction of desired substances from raw materials. Understanding and optimizing Mass Transfer can lead to more efficient and cost-effective industrial processes.