Hints in solving this analitically?

• Thread starter Petr Mugver
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the function \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{e^{-x^2}}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx and provides methods for obtaining an exact numerical value. These methods include expressing the answer using the modified Bessel function and the MejerG function, as well as using the special case of the Digamma function. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of integrating the function analytically and suggests solving numerically instead.
Petr Mugver
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{e^{-x^2}}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx[/tex]

I calculated it numerically, but I need an exact number. Hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can't express the answer purely by analyctic functions, but you could write the answer like this[tex] I \, = \sqrt{e} \, K_0 \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) [/tex]

Where K_0 is the modified Bessel function of the second kind.

Or use the MejerG function to express the answer.

Last edited:
You can start by noticing that this is really another form of:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty }cos(x sinh (t))dt
[/tex]

Which is itself a special case of the Digamma function when v=0.

In any case, it's not easy to integrate it. You could try a series expansion centered at x=0, but it gets really messy. Your best bet is analytically. Otherwise, try starting with the Digamma function.

I was not able to edit my previous post for some reason. i meant to say that your best bet is to solve numerically, not analytically. But of course, we don't know your level of expertise with these kinds of integrals.

1. What is the purpose of using hints in solving a problem analytically?

The purpose of using hints is to guide the problem solver towards finding a solution using logical thinking and analytical skills. Hints provide clues or suggestions that help break down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. How do hints aid in the problem-solving process?

Hints can aid in the problem-solving process by providing a starting point or direction for tackling a problem, helping to identify key concepts or relationships, and offering alternate approaches to finding a solution.

3. Are hints always necessary in solving problems analytically?

No, hints are not always necessary. Some individuals may prefer to solve problems without any guidance, while others may find hints helpful in understanding and approaching a problem. It ultimately depends on the individual's problem-solving style and preference.

4. Can hints be used in all types of problem-solving?

Yes, hints can be used in all types of problem-solving, whether it is math, science, or any other field. They can also be helpful in everyday situations that require analytical thinking, such as making decisions or finding solutions to complex issues.

5. How can one effectively use hints in solving a problem analytically?

To effectively use hints, it is important to read and understand them carefully, and try to apply them to the problem. It may also be helpful to try different approaches and strategies, and to seek help or clarification if needed.