What is the capacitance of a wire mesh parallel to a solid plane?

In summary, the conversation revolved around estimating the capacitance of a wire mesh or grid parallel to a solid plane. It was suggested that the capacitance could be approximated as a simple parallel plate if the fringe fields can be neglected. However, if the mesh is open, it may be better to consider it as a combination of individual wires above the plane. The group also discussed the visualization of the E-fields when multiple wires are placed close together and the potential of the wires is the same.
m1985
Hi Guys,

I seem to have forgotten most of EM, but I was hoping for some help on estimating the capacitance of a wire mesh/grid parallel to a solid plane. I'm guessing that it will follow the form of a simple parallel plate (with the appropriate area factor) if the geometries are such that the fringe fields can be neglected...

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's how I would approach it as an initial approximation. If the mesh is pretty open, it might be better to approximate it as a combination of a bunch of wires over the plane.

Thanks... that sounds about right. I'm having a hard time visualizing the E-fields when many wires are placed close together above the ground plane... I'm thinking that the total capacitance isn't simply the summation of the capacitance of each individual wire to the plane...
Thanks!

m1985 said:
Thanks... that sounds about right. I'm having a hard time visualizing the E-fields when many wires are placed close together above the ground plane... I'm thinking that the total capacitance isn't simply the summation of the capacitance of each individual wire to the plane...
Thanks!

I'm wondering about that too, but if the wires are at the same potential... You can sketch the E-field and resulting equipotential surfaces for a single wire, and then see what it looks like when you parallel up some wires at the same potential...

Related to What is the capacitance of a wire mesh parallel to a solid plane?

1. What is capacitance and how is it related to a wire mesh?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. A wire mesh has a specific capacitance due to its structure and the materials used in its construction. The larger the surface area of the wire mesh, the higher its capacitance will be.

2. How does the geometry of a wire mesh affect its capacitance?

The geometry of a wire mesh, specifically the spacing between the wires and the thickness of the wires, can greatly affect its capacitance. A mesh with smaller spacing and thicker wires will have a higher capacitance than a mesh with larger spacing and thinner wires.

3. What factors can impact the capacitance of a wire mesh?

Aside from geometry, the materials used in the wire mesh, the distance between the mesh and other conductive objects, and the frequency of the electric current passing through the mesh can also impact its capacitance.

4. How is capacitance of a wire mesh measured?

The capacitance of a wire mesh is typically measured using a capacitance meter or bridge. The wire mesh is connected to the meter and a voltage is applied. The resulting current can then be used to calculate the capacitance using the formula C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

5. Can the capacitance of a wire mesh be increased?

Yes, the capacitance of a wire mesh can be increased by increasing the surface area or by using materials with a higher dielectric constant. Additionally, adding a dielectric material between the wires of the mesh can also increase its capacitance.