Is the following the only reason why |x| ≠ x?

by Turion
Tags:
Turion
Sep3-13, 08:26 AM
P: 148
Assumption: |x| is unconditionally equal to x.

This makes sense because if you take a look at a graph of y=|x|, and plot any horizontal line y=C where C is some constant, you will always have two solutions: one is positive and one is negative.

But if we substitute any number into x, then we realize that this actually contradicts:

|x| = x
Let x = 2
|2| = 2
2 = 2
2 = 2 OR 2 = -2

Am I missing something or is the only reason why they aren't unconditionally equal?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
CompuChip
Sep3-13, 08:32 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,301
That final statement is true, isn't it? So I don't see an issue there.

I think the problem you are running into is that "x" isn't well-defined notation, whereas |x| is unambiguously defined. People often use it as shorthand, as you have done, for example in statements like "The solution of x = 4 is x = 2", but that is just an informal way of saying "The solutions of x = 4 are x = -2 and x = +2".

You could write "The solution of x = 4 is |x| = 2" but that is technically something different - what you are saying then is: "The solutions to the equation x = 4 are the same as the solutions to the equation |x| = 2" (and the solutions to both equations are x = 2 and x = -2).
mathsman1963
Sep3-13, 08:35 AM
P: 25
the modulus of x equals x if x is non-negative and -x if x is less than zero. It does not equal x.

The equation mod(x)=2 has the solutions x= 2

Turion
Sep3-13, 08:49 AM

Is the following the only reason why |x| ≠ x?

Quote Quote by CompuChip View Post
That final statement is true, isn't it? So I don't see an issue there.
Opps. I've corrected the mistake.

2 = 2 OR 2 = -2
has been changed to:

2 = 2 AND 2 = -2
since 2 is positive 2 AND negative 2.

I think the problem you are running into is that "x" isn't well-defined notation, whereas |x| is unambiguously defined. People often use it as shorthand, as you have done, for example in statements like "The solution of x = 4 is x = 2", but that is just an informal way of saying "The solutions of x = 4 are x = -2 and x = +2".

You could write "The solution of x = 4 is |x| = 2" but that is technically something different - what you are saying then is: "The solutions to the equation x = 4 are the same as the solutions to the equation |x| = 2" (and the solutions to both equations are x = 2 and x = -2).
Hmm... interesting perspective. I suppose it might be a syntax issue.

Quote Quote by mathsman1963 View Post
the modulus of x equals x if x is non-negative and -x if x is less than zero. It does not equal x.

The equation mod(x)=2 has the solutions x= 2
You mean absolute value function instead of modulus function right?

The issue is that you don't know if x is negative or non-negative.
CompuChip
Sep3-13, 08:51 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Turion View Post
since 2 is positive 2 AND negative 2.
No, it can only have one value. "x = 2 and x = -2" does not make sense, as a variable can only have one value at the time.
As I said, it is usually used as shorthand for "+2 or -2".
Turion
Sep3-13, 08:55 AM
No, it can only have one value. "x = 2 and x = -2" does not make sense, as a variable can only have one value at the time.
As I said, it is usually used as shorthand for "+2 or -2".
Hmm... you're right. I changed it back.
CompuChip
Sep3-13, 04:23 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
You mean absolute value function instead of modulus function right?

The issue is that you don't know if x is negative or non-negative.
That is the same with x in ##x^2=4##. Is it an issue for you there?
Turion
Sep4-13, 12:36 PM
That is the same with x in ##x^2=4##. Is it an issue for you there?
Hmm...., right again.

Quote Quote by mathsman1963 View Post
How does it not equal x? It's equal to +x or -x depending on whether x is non-negative or negative.
D H
Sep4-13, 12:46 PM
Mentor
P: 14,473
How does it not equal x? It's equal to +x or -x depending on whether x is non-negative or negative.
Because x is a multivalued function of x with two branches while |x| is a true function of x. Note that the term "multivalued function" is a bit of a misnomer. A multivalued function is not a function.
Turion
Sep4-13, 03:34 PM
Quote Quote by D H View Post
Because x is a multivalued function of x with two branches while |x| is a true function of x. Note that the term "multivalued function" is a bit of a misnomer. A multivalued function is not a function.
So the difference is that |x| has the condition and gives you the right solution depending on the condition and x just says either +x OR -x but it doesn't give you the condition?
Mark44
Sep4-13, 06:30 PM
Mentor
P: 21,063
So the difference is that |x| has the condition and gives you the right solution depending on the condition and x just says either +x OR -x but it doesn't give you the condition?
No, the difference is that |x| represents a single number. x represents two numbers, as long as x isn't 0.
CompuChip
Sep5-13, 01:56 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Can I give you some advice?

Actually, I'm going to do it anyway :-P

As long as you don't completely understand "x", avoid using it. As I pointed out before, it does not have any formal definition like |x| does - it is merely used as shorthand. For the time being, I would suggest that you focus on getting the basics right. Writing "x = -2 V x = 2" is hardly more work than "x = 2", it is unambiguous and it doesn't confuse anyone, including yourself.

Once you have properly learned about functions and branch cuts you may be more sloppy :-)

Register to reply