Electric field due to 3 charged sheets.

In summary, the conversation revolves around using Gauss's law to find the electric field between three charged sheets with different charge densities. The person is unsure about how to calculate the field and whether to include all three plates or only the bottom two. They are also considering using superposition to find the electric field.
HappMatt
First off i should say that right now I am working with gauss's law.

The problem is finding the electric field between the different layers off 3 charged sheets. The top 2 are positive with 2 different charge densitys and the bottom one has a negative charge desity different from the top 2.

The thing I am haveing trouble with is I am not exactly sure how to calculate the field between plates. I am not sure if i need to add the components from all 3 plates to get the field between the bottom and 2nd to top plate or if i should just use the components of force between the 2 bottom plates and forget about the component from the top plate. I would have though that the top plate would contribute to the field, and looking all through the chapter i can't find a similar cicum stance with 3 plates to help me out. I know i can pick my ouwn gaussian surfaces but it seems like if i did that so it only included the charges from 2 plates it would make my answer wrong since its not taking into effect the other plate so I am not sure what do do and would appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The easy way is to calculate the electric field due to one sheet alone. Then add the other 2 and use superposition.

I would recommend using Gauss's law to calculate the electric field between the three charged sheets. This law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium. By choosing appropriate Gaussian surfaces, you can calculate the electric field due to each individual sheet and then add them together to get the total electric field between the sheets. This method takes into account the contributions from all three sheets and will give you the correct answer. Additionally, you can use the principle of superposition to add the individual electric fields together. This involves adding the components of force between the bottom and second-to-top plate and then adding the contribution from the top plate separately. I would recommend trying both methods and comparing the results to ensure accuracy. It is also important to consider the direction of the electric fields and take into account any potential cancellation or reinforcement of the field due to the different charge densities of the sheets. Overall, the key is to carefully choose your Gaussian surfaces and consider the contributions from each sheet to accurately calculate the electric field between the three charged sheets.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object has on other charged objects in its surroundings. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field due to 3 charged sheets calculated?

The electric field due to 3 charged sheets is calculated using the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields produced by each sheet. The formula for calculating the electric field due to a single charged sheet is E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space. By applying this formula to each sheet and summing the results, the total electric field can be determined.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field due to 3 charged sheets?

The strength of the electric field due to 3 charged sheets is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the sheets, the distance between the sheets, and the angle at which the sheets are positioned relative to each other. It is also affected by the permittivity of the medium in which the sheets are located.

4. How does the direction of the electric field due to 3 charged sheets change at different points?

The direction of the electric field due to 3 charged sheets can vary at different points depending on the orientation of the sheets and the location of the point in relation to the sheets. In general, the electric field lines will point away from positively charged sheets and towards negatively charged sheets. At points between the sheets, the electric field lines will be influenced by the fields of multiple sheets and may change direction accordingly.

5. Can the electric field due to 3 charged sheets be negative?

Yes, the electric field due to 3 charged sheets can be negative. This occurs when the charges on the sheets are of opposite signs and the resulting electric field vectors cancel each other out at certain points. In this case, the electric field is said to be "inverted" or "flipped" and has a direction opposite to what would be expected based on the individual charges of the sheets.