Thermodynamic Calculations for Gas Mixtures

In summary: Hi, I still can't get the right answer so do you mind explaining the answers to me step by step as I need to know this and it would be good for revision. Cheers :)Sure, let me try and do that. Here's Henry's law:Pv = RT*K*ln(Xa*ln(Xa) + Xb*ln(Xb))And here's what each term means:Pv is the vapor pressure, RT is the gas constant, K is the Henry's law coefficients, and ln is the natural logarithm.Question 4 I had 7000/18 = 388.89*.2/(4.34*10^4) = .001792? Is this
SAsurfa
Hey guys I was just wondering if you could help me out as I really struggle with these thermo questions and can never figure them out, cheers for any help :)

Question 1)Air consists of 20% oxygen and 80% nitrogen (by volume). Calculate the Gibbs energy of mixing in Joules if 8 x 3.9 L of pure nitrogen is mixed with 2 x 3.9 L of pure oxygen at 1 atm pressure.

I was thinking of using the fromula G = n*R*T*ln(Xa*ln(Xa) + Xb*ln(Xb)) but I can't see how the volumes come into it? I have no chemistry background at all and I think this is why I struggle :frown:

Question 2)What is the minimum amount of energy in Joules which would be required to separate 2 x 1.6 L of pure oxygen from 10 x 1.6 L of air at 1 atm pressure?

I think this will be the same as the first one but in reverse..

Question 3)Calculate the number of grams of oxygen dissolved in 7 L of water at 25°C when it is in equilibrium with the air above it at 1 atm. (Assume Henry’s law applies and use K=4.34 x 104 atm. Note that the partial pressure of oxygen in air is 0.2 atm and 1L of water has a mass 1kg).

Question 4)Liquid Acetone and Chloroform mixtures satisfy Raoults law approximately. If the vapour pressure at 35°C of pure acetone is 347 Torr and of pure Chloroform is 293 Torr, calculate the vapour pressure in Torr of a mixture with 28 % mole fraction of Chloroform.

Cheers guys, I need all the help I can get :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
1) What's the relation between the volume fraction and mole fraction? Hint: Use the ideal gas law

What have you tried for 3) and 4) ?

No I haven't tried 3 and 4 but was thinking of using the formula pa = xa.pa*?

SAsurfa said:
No I haven't tried 3 and 4 but was thinking of using the formula pa = xa.pa*?

Have you read the definition of Henry's Law and do you understand what the terms mean? If you do that, you'll easily be able to figure out what to do.

Hi, I still can't get the right answer so do you mind explaining the answers to me step by step as I need to know this and it would be good for revision. Cheers :)

Ok for number 1 I have xa = .2 and xb = .8

Therfore if I plug into eqaution what do I use for n? is it 1 adn what do i use for T, do i just use the room temp which would be around 300K?

I used n = 1 and R = 8.314 and T = 300 and got -1248.1, does that sound correct?

And for question 2 I just did the same but put xa = .167 and xb = .8333 and got that G = -1123.79?

Question 3 I had 7000/18 = 388.89*.2/(4.34*10^4) = .001792? Is this right, I have tried to input the answers to all these and I still get it wrong :( Please I need help urgently!

SAsurfa said:
Ok for number 1 I have xa = .2 and xb = .8
Yeah, cause the mol frac is the same as vol frac for an ideal gas. (Use the ideal gas law to show this).

Therfore if I plug into eqaution what do I use for n? is it 1 adn what do i use for T, do i just use the room temp which would be around 300K?

No, you don't use 1 mol for n.
AT STP, 22.4 L corresponds to 1 mol. So, 8 x 3.9 L corresponds to how much? Similarly, how many moles of Oxygen? So, what's the total no of moles?

And you're right in using T as room temp.

So I use n = 31.2/22.4 +7.8/22.4 = 1.74mol, but where did you get 22.4 from?

Last edited:
I got number 4 right, Ptotal = Pb* + (Pa* - Pb*)xa but am still getting the rest wrong :S

SAsurfa said:
So I use n = 31.2/22.4 +7.8/22.4 = 1.74mol, but where did you get 22.4 from?

Because, for 1 mol of gas, at 300 K, 1atm pressure, what do you get if you calculate V from the ideal gas law?

I got number 4 right, Ptotal = Pb* + (Pa* - Pb*)xa but am still getting the rest wrong :S

For question 3, can you post hery's law here and explain what each term in that means? That'll help you get the answer.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, meaning that the disorder or randomness of the system will increase.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles within an object. In other words, heat is energy in transit, while temperature is a measure of the amount of energy present.

What is the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

How is thermodynamics related to other branches of science?

Thermodynamics is a fundamental concept that is applicable to many different branches of science, including chemistry, physics, biology, and engineering. It helps to explain and predict the behavior of systems at the macroscopic level and is essential for understanding processes such as energy production, chemical reactions, and biological processes.