Vector calculus - line integral computation

In summary: So the answer is -pi.In summary, the line integral \int_{C} F\cdot dr is equal to -pi, where F = -y i + x j and the directed path C consists of a left semicircle from (0, -1) to (0, 1) and a straight line segment from (0,1) to (2,1). The orientation of the path must be taken into account when calculating the integral.
braindead101
Compute the line integral [tex]\int_{C} F\cdot dr[/tex] where F = -y i + x j. The directed path C in the xy-plane consists of two parts: i) a left semicircle from (0, -1) to (0, 1) with center at the origin, and ii) a straight line segment from (0,1) to (2,1).

i) r(t) = cos t i + sin t j [pi/2 <=t<= 3pi/2]
ii) r(t) = 2t i + j [0<=t<=1]

for i):
F(r (t) ) = - sin t i + cos t j
r'(t) = - sin t i + cos t j

integ F(r(t)) dot r'(t) dt
= integ 1 dt [pi/2<=t<= 3pi/2]
so integral is
3pi/2 - pi/2 = pi ?
is this correct so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
braindead101 said:
Compute the line integral [tex]\int_{C} F\cdot dr[/tex] where F = -y i + x j. The directed path C in the xy-plane consists of two parts: i) a left semicircle from (0, -1) to (0, 1) with center at the origin, and ii) a straight line segment from (0,1) to (2,1).

i) r(t) = cos t i + sin t j [pi/2 <=t<= 3pi/2]
ii) r(t) = 2t i + j [0<=t<=1]

for i):
F(r (t) ) = - sin t i + cos t j
r'(t) = - sin t i + cos t j

integ F(r(t)) dot r'(t) dt
= integ 1 dt [pi/2<=t<= 3pi/2]
so integral is
3pi/2 - pi/2 = pi ?
is this correct so far.
Almost- you have the "orientation" backwards. The path does not go "from pi/2 to 3pi/2" (i.e. from (0,1) to (0,-1)), it goes "from 3pi/2 to pi/2" (from (0,-1) to (0,1)). That reverses the sign on the integral.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a function along a curve or path. It is also known as a path integral or a curve integral.

2. How is a line integral computed?

A line integral is computed by dividing the curve or path into small segments, approximating the function at each point, and then summing the products of the function values and the lengths of the segments. This sum is then integrated over the entire curve to find the total value.

3. What is the difference between a line integral and a surface integral?

A line integral is calculated along a one-dimensional curve, while a surface integral is calculated over a two-dimensional surface. Additionally, the methods of computation for these integrals differ, with line integrals using a single variable and surface integrals using multiple variables.

4. What is the significance of the vector field in vector calculus?

In vector calculus, a vector field is a function that assigns a vector to each point in space. It is used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and electric fields. Vector calculus involves the study of these vector fields and their properties.

5. How is vector calculus used in real-world applications?

Vector calculus is used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and analyze physical systems, such as fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and economic trends. It is also utilized in computer graphics and computer vision to manipulate and analyze image data.