Life: 19-Year-Old Trying to Find Direction

• Thread starter Mr_Orsum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, this person is 19 years old and in year 11, and they have just finished the first half of year 11. They are top of their classes and have a good chance of getting a good uni entrance score. They are unsure of what they want to do, but they think they might know what they want to do in the future. They are worried about becoming an adult and don't think they are ready for it.
Mr_Orsum
Ok... I'm 19, in year 11 (not sure of the American equivalent) this is my second time in year 11, I'm the oldest in my school. when i dropped out the first time, i had no drive, no support from anyone, nothing. I got an apprenticeship as a chef, hated it, continued for about 2 years, moved around alot. Then decided to go back to school. just finished first half of year 11, top of most of my classes.

So that's pretty much where i am now, trying really hard, i want to be prepared for year 12 so i can get the best TER (uni entrance thing)... but i still don't know where I'm going, i said that i wanted to be an engineer at the start of the year, and have researched that quite a bit, but i don't even know if that's what i want to do now (yes iv read the "should i become an engineer" thread) I'm just so utterly lost, i mean sure science is awesome, physics is crazy and cool, maths is oddly fun and chemistry is really interesting, but out of all the careers iv looked at, nothing really jumps out at me, i mean I'm creative, but i think far too out side the box, this normally blinds my common sense, hell i don't even know what I'm asking... is this all worth it? like going to uni, getting a good job. I just feel like I'm this confused teenager that is about to become an adult, and i don't think I'm ready for that.

Any input would be appreciated, I am in a weird place right now, thanks for taking the time to actually read this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about it, I'm in my second year at uni and don't know where I'm going. I probably won't know until half way through grad school if I want to do a postdoc or go to law school.

The only place I know I'm going for sure to is the funeral pyre. That's about it. I think that's the case for most of us.

In terms of knowing exactly what you want to do right now is a going to be a hard thing to confirm right now, and it's perfectly fine to question your ability to be able to achieve what your ultimate goals. Everyone does it.

Sometimes, especially when you have not been exposed to the subject in hand, it is easy to get caught up with the mind-numbing idea of having to 'know' all the things you need to know to become good at a particular subject. It might help to know that you are probably not as naive you might think you are. With hard work and a good attitude to help others learn, I think you'll have a good chance with anything you want to learn.

thanks for taking the time to read that and reply, since I don't have any sort of high achieveing family members or friends its hard to talk to them about it, coming here is really helpful, thanks again :approve:

What Color is Your Parachute?
by Richard N. Bolles

1. What is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is a philosophical question that has been debated for centuries. It is a subjective concept and can have different meanings for different individuals. Some believe that the meaning of life is to find happiness and fulfillment, while others believe it is to fulfill a specific purpose or destiny.

2. How can I find direction in life?

Finding direction in life can be a challenging and personal journey. It involves self-reflection, identifying your values and passions, setting goals, and taking action towards achieving them. Seeking guidance from a mentor or therapist can also be helpful in finding direction.

3. Is it normal to feel lost at 19 years old?

Feeling lost at 19 years old is a common experience as it is a transitional period in life. Many young adults are still trying to figure out their interests, values, and goals. It is important to remember that it is normal to feel uncertain and that finding direction takes time and effort.

4. How can I overcome the fear of making the wrong choices?

Making decisions about the direction of your life can be daunting, and the fear of making the wrong choices can hold you back. To overcome this fear, it can be helpful to focus on the present moment, trust your instincts, and remember that mistakes are a part of learning and growing.

5. What are some practical steps I can take to find direction in life?

Some practical steps to find direction in life include setting short-term and long-term goals, exploring different interests and experiences, seeking guidance from mentors or career counselors, and being open to new opportunities and experiences. It is also essential to take care of your physical and mental well-being as it can impact your ability to find direction in life.