How to establish the hamiltonian matrix as soon as possible?

In summary, to establish the matrix of the hamiltonian for the bose-hubbard model, you need to find an operator that commutes with the Hamiltonian, and then you can determine which matrix elements are nonzero. This is a trick, but it is possible to do.
wdlang
in the bose-hubbard model, we need to enumerate all the possible basis

usually, the basis vectors are taken as the fock states

The problem is that, how to arrange the basis and how to establish the matrix of the hamiltonian as soon as possible

It is apparent the the matrix will be very sparse

then how can we avoid to set the matrix elements that are surely zero ?

i find this problem non-trivial

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you need to find some operator that commutes with your Hamiltonian, and then you know that its eigenvalues are good quantum numbers, so the Hamiltonian will be block diagonal with each block corresponding to a different quantum number of this other operator. For instance, every term in the Bose-Hubbard model contains the same number of creation and annihilation operators, so the total particle number is conserved. This means that the Hamiltonian will only have matrix elements between states with the same particle number.

I'm not an expert on exact diagonalization, but I think that is probably about as far as you can go with it, due to the non-local nature of the hopping and the local nature of the interaction.

kanato said:
Well, you need to find some operator that commutes with your Hamiltonian, and then you know that its eigenvalues are good quantum numbers, so the Hamiltonian will be block diagonal with each block corresponding to a different quantum number of this other operator. For instance, every term in the Bose-Hubbard model contains the same number of creation and annihilation operators, so the total particle number is conserved. This means that the Hamiltonian will only have matrix elements between states with the same particle number.

I'm not an expert on exact diagonalization, but I think that is probably about as far as you can go with it, due to the non-local nature of the hopping and the local nature of the interaction.

yes, this is a trick

but i want more

i want such trick that faciliate the coding and programming

especially, i want to know quickly where the matrix elements are nonzero

generally, the matrix can be millions by millions, and i cannot test whether each element is zero or not. That requies too much time, though each testing can be very simple.

1. How do I determine the dimensions of the Hamiltonian matrix?

The dimensions of the Hamiltonian matrix are determined by the number of states or variables in the system. For a system with n states, the Hamiltonian matrix will have dimensions of n x n.

2. What information is needed to establish the Hamiltonian matrix?

To establish the Hamiltonian matrix, you will need to know the physical properties of the system, such as the potential energy and kinetic energy, as well as any relevant equations that describe the system's behavior.

3. Is it necessary to use matrix algebra to establish the Hamiltonian matrix?

Yes, the Hamiltonian matrix is a mathematical representation of a physical system and is typically written as a matrix. Therefore, matrix algebra is necessary to establish the Hamiltonian matrix.

4. Can the Hamiltonian matrix be established for any type of system?

Yes, the Hamiltonian matrix can be established for any type of system, including classical and quantum mechanical systems. However, the specific form of the Hamiltonian matrix may differ depending on the type of system.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of the Hamiltonian matrix?

To ensure the accuracy of the Hamiltonian matrix, it is important to carefully consider all relevant physical properties and equations of the system. It may also be helpful to compare the results of the Hamiltonian matrix with experimental data or other established models.