Slow clocks on moving body is an illusion?

In summary: I don't even know what that sentence is supposed to mean!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation in relation to objects moving at near the speed of light. Doc AI's response explains that, according to relativity, clocks on a moving body will appear to run slower compared to an identical clock at rest. This has been experimentally confirmed, but it is important to note that it is a function of the difference in speed between the observer and the observed. The conversation also touches on the idea of time travel and its implications in relation to the concept of time dilation.
jakesee
Hi,

I chanced upon https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=321935 and read Doc AI's reply basically saying: if 2 bodies moving near speed of light relative to each other, the clocks on the other body will appear slower on either body.

And I think this should theoretically mean the slowness is only an effect of observation (as an inability to observe to great accuracaries due to some unknown limitations of observation devices such as the eye etc.) and not in reality happening. Is this correct or wrong?

Or has it been experimentally shown that a moving body really has all processes slowed down. e.g. a slowed chemical reaction? I really don't think this is the case because if Doc AI is correct, the people carrying out the experiment are the ones moving with respect to the experiement itself!

Or even weirder, is to say that sending one single object to the past/future is relativitiscally equivalent to sending the rest of the universe to the future/past. Perhaps we are already phasing in and out of the 4th dimension without knowing.

Physics news on Phys.org
jakesee said:
Or has it been experimentally shown that a moving body really has all processes slowed down. e.g. a slowed chemical reaction?

Particles that decay really *do* decay at a much slower rate if they are moving quickly. This is an effect that people really have measured in the laboratory.

That said, this *is* a function of how we are doing the observing. It's not a limitation of our measuring equipment... it's a function of the difference in speed between the particle and us. If you could travel at the same speed as the particles, you'd measure the same rates of decay as for particles that seem stationary.

TMFKAN64 said:
That said, this *is* a function of how we are doing the observing. It's not a limitation of our measuring equipment... it's a function of the difference in speed between the particle and us. If you could travel at the same speed as the particles, you'd measure the same rates of decay as for particles that seem stationary.

Alright, I'll try to read more first.
And yes, my bad, I totally missed the first sticky.
Any case, thanks =)

jakesee said:
Hi,

I chanced upon https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=321935 and read Doc AI's reply basically saying: if 2 bodies moving near speed of light relative to each other, the clocks on the other body will appear slower on either body.
Note that I did not use the word "appear" in my response.

And I think this should theoretically mean the slowness is only an effect of observation (as an inability to observe to great accuracaries due to some unknown limitations of observation devices such as the eye etc.) and not in reality happening. Is this correct or wrong?
If you mean due to some observational error or optical illusion, then that is wrong. Once you correct for light travel times, etc., then the measured rate of a moving clock will really be slower than the identical clock at rest.

Or has it been experimentally shown that a moving body really has all processes slowed down. e.g. a slowed chemical reaction?
What relativity predicts is that moving clocks (and any process that behaves like a clock) will be measured as running slowly according to the observer's clocks. (It is a bit sloppy to say that clocks "really" slow down, since you must specify according to who.) That is definitely what relativity predicts, and time dilation has been confirmed in every test so far.
I really don't think this is the case because if Doc AI is correct, the people carrying out the experiment are the ones moving with respect to the experiement itself!
I'm not sure what you mean. You have one set of folks, with their clocks and measuring devices, making observations of a moving clock. So sure, the observers are moving with respect to the observed!

Or even weirder, is to say that sending one single object to the past/future is relativitiscally equivalent to sending the rest of the universe to the future/past. Perhaps we are already phasing in and out of the 4th dimension without knowing.
:bugeye: :confused:

1. Why do clocks on moving bodies appear to slow down?

The concept of time dilation, which is a result of Einstein's theory of relativity, explains that as an object moves at high speeds, time appears to move slower for that object compared to a stationary observer. This means that clocks on moving bodies will also appear to slow down due to the difference in the perception of time between the moving object and the observer.

2. Is the slowing down of clocks on moving bodies just an illusion?

Yes, it is just an illusion. While the clocks may appear to be running slower, they are actually keeping time at a normal rate. This phenomenon is a result of the relative motion between the observer and the moving object, and does not affect the actual functioning of the clocks themselves.

3. Does the speed of the moving body affect the amount of time dilation?

Yes, the speed of the moving body has a direct effect on the amount of time dilation. As the speed of the moving object approaches the speed of light, the difference in the perception of time between the moving object and the observer becomes more significant, resulting in a larger time dilation effect.

4. Does this phenomenon only occur with clocks or can other objects be affected as well?

This phenomenon can occur with any type of object, not just clocks. However, it is most commonly observed with clocks due to their precise measurement of time and our reliance on them for accurate timekeeping.

5. Are there any practical applications of this concept?

Yes, time dilation has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is a crucial component of modern technologies such as GPS systems. These systems use satellites moving at high speeds to accurately determine the location of objects on Earth, and without taking into account the effects of time dilation, the GPS system would not work correctly.