: Finding Mechanical Energy, Velocity, and Height

In summary, to find the mechanical energy, velocity, and height values, you need to calculate the potential and kinetic energy at each point and then use the equation ME=PE+KE to find the mechanical energy. To find the velocity, you can use the equation ΔKE=W between two points. It is a straightforward process once you have the necessary energy values.
hueyosie
URGENT: Finding Mechanical Energy, Velocity, and Height

Homework Statement

http://www.mrfizix.com/home/energy_files/image051.gif

Homework Equations

E0=EF
PE=mgh
KE=(1/2)mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to get the potential and kinetic energy values but I'm confused as to how to get the mechanical energy, velocity, and height values. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Well Mechanical Energy is the sum of the pot. energy and kinetic energy at a certain point.
And to find the velocity you do the change in kinetic energy between two points equals the work, or you do it a more simpler way which is the Mechanical energy at one point equals the mechanical energy at another point.

For example at point 1 PE=0 and KE=.5*60*8^2=1920 J. And the ME=PE+KE=1920J

mtayab1994 said:
For example at point 1 PE=0 and KE=.5*60*8^2=1920 J. And the ME=PE+KE=1920J
That makes a lot of sense! Thanks so much! :)

Ok so just do the same for point 2. You will be able to calculate the potential energy first. Then use PE(1)+KE(1)=PE(2)+KE(2) to find the KE and then use ΔKE=W from 1 to 2 and so on until you finish. It's pretty easy.

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy in a system. Potential energy is the stored energy due to an object's position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy of motion.

2. How is mechanical energy calculated?

Mechanical energy can be calculated using the formula ME = PE + KE, where ME is mechanical energy, PE is potential energy, and KE is kinetic energy. Potential energy is calculated by multiplying the object's mass, gravitational acceleration, and height, while kinetic energy is calculated by multiplying half of the object's mass and its velocity squared.

3. How does velocity affect mechanical energy?

Velocity plays a crucial role in determining the amount of kinetic energy an object possesses. The faster an object is moving, the greater its kinetic energy will be. This means that an increase in velocity will result in an increase in mechanical energy.

4. What is the relationship between height and mechanical energy?

Height also has a significant impact on an object's potential energy. The higher an object is positioned, the more potential energy it will have. This means that an increase in height will result in an increase in mechanical energy.

5. How is mechanical energy conserved in a system?

According to the law of conservation of energy, mechanical energy is always conserved in a closed system. This means that the total amount of mechanical energy in a system remains constant, even if it is transferred from one form to another. For example, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, but the total mechanical energy will not change.