Help with Thesis: Measuring Flue Air Flow

• Thread starter diar1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thesis
In summary, the conversation discusses a forum member's thesis on a chimney heat recovery unit and their model chimney with a coil exchanger. They are looking for help in determining the flow rate of air through the model flue. Another member shares their experience with using newspaper to start a fireplace.
diar1000
I all, new to this forum and just looking for a bit of help in my final year thesis.
I have built a model chimney and using a gas torch to represent a fire. I would like to know is there any way i would be able to get the flow rate of the air going through the model flue (alimumin duct). It is one meter in length . Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
diar1000, Welcome to Physics Forums!

When I was young my family lived in a home with a fireplace in the living room. Before lighting the fire, my father crumpled up a few newspaper sheets and jammed them up in the chimney flue. We first lighted that paper to start the updraft, then the main fire materials. As a result, our living room never filled with smoke.

Bobbywhy

This isn't really an answer to your question I am just interested. What is your thesis on?

Its on a chimney heat recovery unit. i have produced a modle one with a coil exchanger wrapped about the flue of a chimney and using gravity flow I've manged to raise temperture in a 10 litre tank by 15 by only using a bunson burner.

1. How do I measure flue air flow for my thesis?

To measure flue air flow, you can use a variety of methods such as flow meters, anemometers, or pitot tubes. These tools can accurately measure the velocity and volume of air flowing through the flue.

2. What factors should I consider when measuring flue air flow?

There are several factors that can affect flue air flow, including the size and design of the flue, temperature and pressure differentials, and the type of fuel being burned. It is important to take these factors into account when choosing a method for measuring flue air flow.

3. Can I use data from previous studies for my thesis?

While it may be tempting to use data from previous studies, it is important to collect your own data for your thesis. This ensures the accuracy and validity of your findings and allows you to control for any variables that may have been different in previous studies.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when measuring flue air flow?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when working with flue air flow. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and following all safety protocols for the specific tools and methods you are using.

5. How can I analyze and interpret my data for my thesis?

There are several statistical methods you can use to analyze and interpret your data. These may include calculating averages, creating graphs and charts, and conducting hypothesis testing. It is important to choose the appropriate method for your specific research question.