How do peak flow meters measure flow rate?

In summary: Force applied = volume.In summary, peak flow meters are inexpensive tools used to detect declining lung function. They do not have electronic components and instead use a simple mechanical design. The force/pressure applied is used to calculate flow rate, which is calibrated through a series of measurements.
areamer02
TL;DR Summary
Peak flow meters are simple mechanical devices that measure flow rate without an electronic gauge. How do these meters get a L/min measurement without directly measuring volume or time?
I am in pharmacy school and my professor recently went over lung diseases with us. An important (and cheap) tool that many patients can use to detect whether their lung function is declining is a peak flow meter, which tells the patient how much air they are moving when they exhale with as much force as possible. My professor mentioned that he has no idea how this device measures L/min without having a timer or anything to measure volume on it. The meters are often entirely mechanical, with no electronic component. I assumed that it is calculated by using a spring to detect the amount of force or pressure being applied within the meter and then using some formula to calculate flow from force/pressure. However, I have looked up what I can and have been unable to find a formula that I think would work in this scenario. So, my question is how can these meters calculate air flow without any electronics? Is there a simple (or maybe complicated) formula to derive air flow (L/min) from force (kg*m/s^2) in this circumstance?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The one test I had decades ago was a tube about 1.5in. (4cm.) diameter and perhaps 4in. (10cm.) long with a slit along part of its length. There was free-floating piston in it that was initially set at the mouthpiece.

When you blow into it, the piston is moved along the tube, exposing more of the slit for air to escape. The greater the air flow rate, the higher the pressure, causing the piston to move further and uncovering more of the slit.

Ahh! wikipedia to the rescue:
More info and photos here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_expiratory_flow
Cheers,
Tom

areamer02 said:
Summary: Peak flow meters are simple mechanical devices that measure flow rate without an electronic gauge. How do these meters get a L/min measurement without directly measuring volume or time?

and then using some formula to calculate flow from force/pressure.
You don't always need a formula. You can just calibrate it with a series of measurements.

1. How does a peak flow meter measure flow rate?

A peak flow meter measures flow rate by using a small airway attached to a scale. When a person blows into the meter, the air moves a small disk on the scale, indicating the flow rate in liters per minute.

2. What is the principle behind peak flow meters?

The principle behind peak flow meters is based on the fact that when a person exhales forcefully, the air moves at a higher velocity, resulting in a higher flow rate. The meter measures this flow rate and provides a numerical value to indicate the level of air flow.

3. How accurate are peak flow meters?

The accuracy of peak flow meters can vary depending on the type and quality of the meter. However, most peak flow meters have an accuracy range of ±10% to ±15%, which is considered acceptable for clinical use.

4. Can peak flow meters be used to diagnose respiratory conditions?

Peak flow meters are commonly used to monitor and track changes in lung function in individuals with respiratory conditions such as asthma or COPD. However, they should not be used as the sole diagnostic tool for these conditions and should be interpreted in conjunction with other clinical assessments.

5. How often should peak flow meters be used?

The frequency of peak flow meter usage should be determined by a healthcare professional. In general, individuals with respiratory conditions should use a peak flow meter at least twice a day, in the morning and evening, to track changes in their lung function. However, the frequency may vary depending on the severity of the condition and the individual's treatment plan.