The most fundamental physics that we can observe directly with our senses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fundamental physics that can be observed directly with our senses. The participants suggest that the photochemical effect of light and gravity may be good candidates for this, but also mention the importance of defining what is meant by "fundamental". They also mention the role of mathematical expression in determining what is considered fundamental.
Loren Booda
What is the most fundamental physics that we can observe directly with our senses?

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
What is the most fundamental physics that we can observe directly with our senses?
If you mean the smallest phenomenon that can be detected, I would submit that the photochemical effect of light triggering a retinal response would be a good candidate. One could also argue for gravity.

I think you need to define what you mean by "fundamental".

My opinion is that everything we observe directly is the lowest level of what physics is. You can think of it as a logical pyramid; directly observable data is in the lowest level, and we build models that allow us to list fewer and fewer "principles" after each abstraction. The upper "logical levels" may be regarded as "more fundamental", but are also necessarily more distant from the raw data from our senses.

Loren Booda said:

Observe ? Light

There are many optic phenomena that are pretty close to fundamental. The minimum light you can observe with your eyes is on the order of two or three photons. When you see rainbows in oil slicks you are seeing the macroscopic effects of microscopic scale films. The famous drop two objects at the same time experiment is a good illustration of the geodesic nature of gravity -- i.e. that it is independent of mass.

Umm, people didnt actually know what is physics until someone define what is physics.
So i would like to think this way... What kind of phenomena will instantly let u relate it to physics?

By fundamental I mean simply and beautifully expressed by mathematics.

1. What is the most fundamental physics?

The most fundamental physics that can be observed directly with our senses is classical mechanics. This branch of physics studies the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as planets, cars, and balls, using principles such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy.

2. How does classical mechanics differ from other branches of physics?

Classical mechanics differs from other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity, in that it deals with the behavior of objects at a macroscopic scale. It does not take into account the behavior of subatomic particles or the effects of high speeds or extreme gravitational forces.

3. Can classical mechanics explain all physical phenomena?

No, classical mechanics has its limitations and cannot explain all physical phenomena. For example, it cannot accurately describe the behavior of subatomic particles or the motion of objects at very high speeds. This is where other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity, come into play.

4. How does classical mechanics help us understand the world around us?

Classical mechanics provides a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in our everyday lives. It helps us explain phenomena such as the motion of objects, the forces acting on them, and how energy is conserved in various situations. This understanding allows us to design and create technologies that improve our daily lives.

5. What are some real-world applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including designing structures and machines, predicting the motion of celestial bodies, and understanding the behavior of fluids. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, architecture, and transportation.