Fundamental theorem of calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of the integral of cos(t)/t evaluated from 3 to the square root of x. The use of the fundamental theorem of calculus and the chain rule are suggested as methods for solving the problem. The conversation also clarifies the notation and suggests making a substitution to simplify the problem.
fk378

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of cost/t (dt) evaluated from 3 to the sqrt of x

The Attempt at a Solution

using the fundamental theorem of calculus, I have [cos(sqrt x)]/(sqrtx)
I know I have to use the chain rule but I don't know how to go about it from here. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to differentiate your function of x. Start with the derivative of cos(sqrt(x)). What is it? If you can get that using the chain rule the just use the quotient rule to do the whole thing.

Are you trying to find the integral or the derivative? It says derivative, but "evaluated from 3 to the sqrt of x" implies integral :( Also, using FTC also implies you are finding the integral...

I think this is the question, basically.

Evaluate [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_3^{\sqrt{x}}\frac{\cos{t}}{t}dt[/tex] and that's a trivial application of FTC.

Try making the substitution [tex]u= \sqrt{x}[/tex], working out [tex]\frac{d}{du}\int_c^{u}\frac{\cos{t}}{t}dt[/tex], then using the chain rule [tex]\frac{dI}{dx} = (\frac{dI}{du})(\frac{du}{dx})[/tex] (c is an arbitrary constant,the lower bound does not really matter).

Last edited:
fk378 said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of cost/t (dt) evaluated from 3 to the sqrt of x
That makes no sense! You mean "find the derivative of the integral of cost/t dt evaluated from 3 to the sqrt(x)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

using the fundamental theorem of calculus, I have [cos(sqrt x)]/(sqrtx)
I know I have to use the chain rule but I don't know how to go about it from here. Any tips?
Perhaps it would make sense if you wrote f(u)= int{3 to u} cos(t)/t dt and u(x)= sqrt(x). Now apply the chain rule to those two functions: df(x)/dx= df(u)/du du/dx. both of those should be easy now.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a theorem in mathematics that links the concepts of differentiation and integration. It states that if a function is continuous on an interval, then the integral of its derivative on that interval is equal to the difference between the values of the function at the endpoints of the interval.

Why is the fundamental theorem of calculus important?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is important because it provides a fundamental tool for calculating the area under a curve. It also allows for the calculation of anti-derivatives, which are important in many areas of mathematics and science.

What are the two parts of the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus has two parts: the first part states that the integral of a function is the anti-derivative of that function, and the second part states that the derivative of an integral is the original function.

How is the fundamental theorem of calculus used in real-world applications?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the area under a curve to determine the distance traveled by an object, finding the velocity of an object based on its position function, and calculating the volume of irregular shapes in physics and engineering.

Are there any limitations to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

While the fundamental theorem of calculus is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to continuous functions, and certain types of discontinuities can cause problems when using the theorem. Additionally, the integral and derivative may not exist for certain functions, making the theorem inapplicable.