Calculate Force on Small Gear from Torque with Pully and Shaft

In summary, by applying a force of .01 N on a pulley with radius .2 m, a torque of .002 Nm is produced. This torque is also applied to the small gear with a radius of .01 m, resulting in a force of .2 N on the gear. This is part of a larger problem.
Physics_wiz
A pully with radius .2 m is fixed on a shaft and on the other end there's a gear with radius .01 m. If a force of .01 N pulls down on the pully, what's the force on the tip of the small gear?

Here's my work:
The force produces a torque about the shaft T = Fr = (.01 N)(.2 m)= .002 Nm

The small gear is subjected to the same torque so T = Fr again,
.002 Nm = (F2) (.01 m)
F2 = .2 N

I know this is a simple problem, but I have to make sure I did it right because it's part of a bigger problem. So, did I do it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, i think so

Yes, you have correctly calculated the force on the tip of the small gear. Your method of using the torque equation (T=Fr) to find the force is correct. Since the small gear has a smaller radius than the pulley, it will experience a larger force to produce the same torque. This is because torque is the product of force and distance, and since the distance (radius) is smaller for the small gear, the force must be larger to achieve the same torque. Overall, your calculation is correct and you can use this method for similar problems in the future.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It can be used to change the direction of a force, and is often used in conjunction with other pulleys to create a mechanical advantage.

How do you calculate torque?

Torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How does torque affect the force on a small gear?

If a small gear is connected to a larger gear through a pulley and shaft, the torque applied to the larger gear will be transferred to the smaller gear. This will result in a force being applied to the smaller gear, which can be calculated using the torque and the gear ratio.

What factors can affect the force on a small gear?

The force on a small gear can be affected by the amount of torque applied, the gear ratio, the size and shape of the gears, and the efficiency of the pulley system. Friction and other external forces can also impact the force on the small gear.