Calculating torque about a point with given forces

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the net torque on point A using the given forces and their angles. One participant found the same answer as the other but with a simpler solution, and they also mentioned an error in the given answer for the problem. The conversation ends with a new member being welcomed.
Nova_Chr0n0
Homework Statement
What is the net torque around point A?
Relevant Equations
τ = rF
wew1.JPG

I've inserted a photo of the figure, hope everyone can see it.

SOLUTION:
1. I first solved for the angle of 100 N and 50 N since I need the force that is perpendicular to point A.
>> Angle of 100 N
theta = arctan(3/4)
theta = 36.870 degree
>> Angle of 50 N
theta = arctan(12/5)
theta = 67.380 degree
2. Solving for the net torque on point A where counter-clockwise is + and clockwise is -
τ = rF
τ_A = -1[100sin(36.870)] - 1.75(70) - 2[50sin(67.380)]
τ_A = -274.808 Nm

My final answer for the torque at point A is -274.808 Nm, but when I check the answer in the textbook, it is -295 Nm. I am confused about what part I did wrong. Also, I'm new to the forum, so if my format is not understandable, kindly inform me about it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Finding the angles was rather unnecessary since you are given the right triangle ratios. You could just write 100N x 1m x (3/5) etc.
But I get the same answer as you do.

Likes Nova_Chr0n0
Well, I've got 274.8 as well, though my solution is somewhat less convolute than yours.

Is there anything else to the question ?

Likes Nova_Chr0n0
haruspex said:
Finding the angles was rather unnecessary since you are given the right triangle ratios. You could just write 100N x 1m x (3/5) etc.
But I get the same answer as you do.
I guess there was just an error in the given answer for the file that I've encountered. Also, thanks for letting me know a solution with less work when involving triangle ratios. Really appreciate it!

Nova_Chr0n0 said:
I guess there was just an error in the given answer for the file that I've encountered. Also, thanks for letting me know a solution with less work when involving triangle ratios. Really appreciate it!
Welcome, @Nova_Chr0n0 !

That dimension of 1 m to the right of the figure suggests that either a force that is applied at the right end, or the weight of the 3-meter bar, is missing.

• Informative
Likes Nova_Chr0n0

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is: torque = force x distance, where force is measured in Newtons (N) and distance is measured in meters (m).

How do I calculate torque about a point with multiple forces?

To calculate torque about a point with multiple forces, you will need to determine the magnitude and direction of each force, as well as the distance from the pivot point to where each force is applied. Then, you can use the formula torque = force x distance for each force and add the individual torques together to find the total torque about the point.

What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). However, any unit of force multiplied by a unit of distance can be used to measure torque.

How does the direction of the force affect torque?

The direction of the force applied to an object will affect the direction of the resulting torque. If the force is applied perpendicular to the line connecting the pivot point and the point where the force is applied, the torque will be maximum. If the force is applied at an angle, the torque will be reduced proportionally to the angle between the force and the line connecting the pivot point and the point of application.