Capacitors and a coil

by Ziggey
Tags: capacitors, coil
Share this thread:
Ziggey
Aug30-14, 04:41 AM
P: 12
Hello.

So I'm trying to work on a project with capacitors. I have a twelve volt battery hooked up to a transformer that produces 120 v ac.

I would like to then hook the transformer up to five capacitors in parallel and then use the power stored i the capacitors to shoot through my coils to create a magnetic field. Something is going wrong though and I don't know what.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1409391537.835094.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	72563

Any help would be great. Am I going to be able to just charge the capacitors up? I know that when running ac the capacitors are constantly charging and discharging. When I hook it up though the transformer makes a noise like I'm shorting something out.... :/

Thanks for any help,
Zig
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
3-D printing leads to another advance in make-it-yourself lab equipment
Nanoscience makes your wine better
davenn
Aug30-14, 06:11 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,741
sounds like a bit of a dangerous project

putting capacitors across AC is pointless as each plate of the capacitor will be charging and discharging with each cycle of AC ( as you discovered) so you will end up with zero charge on them

forget the transformer and charge them directly from a DC supply

Dave
milesyoung
Aug30-14, 06:44 AM
P: 533
Quote Quote by Ziggey View Post
I have a twelve volt battery hooked up to a transformer that produces 120 v ac.
Do you mean an inverter? If you hook up a DC supply to a transformer, you'll just short out the supply.

Quote Quote by Ziggey View Post
When I hook it up though the transformer makes a noise like I'm shorting something out.... :/
If you manage to hook up that level of AC voltage to your polarized caps, you're probably just going to see a lot of smoke.

Ziggey
Aug30-14, 02:48 PM
P: 12
Capacitors and a coil

Yes sorry I meant inverter... Ok I will have to modify my plan a little then thank you all for the help!

zig

Register to reply