Can I use capacitors to create a magnetic field with a transformer and coil?

In summary, Zig is working on a project involving capacitors and a transformer. He wants to use the capacitors to create a magnetic field, but is having trouble with the transformer making a noise like something is shorting out. Dave suggests charging the capacitors directly from a DC supply instead of using the transformer, as hooking up capacitors across AC is pointless and can result in damage. Zig thanks everyone for their help and will need to modify his plan.
Ziggey
Hello.

So I'm trying to work on a project with capacitors. I have a twelve volt battery hooked up to a transformer that produces 120 v ac.

I would like to then hook the transformer up to five capacitors in parallel and then use the power stored i the capacitors to shoot through my coils to create a magnetic field. Something is going wrong though and I don't know what.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1409391537.835094.jpg

Any help would be great. Am I going to be able to just charge the capacitors up? I know that when running ac the capacitors are constantly charging and discharging. When I hook it up though the transformer makes a noise like I'm shorting something out... :/

Thanks for any help,
Zig

Engineering news on Phys.org
sounds like a bit of a dangerous project

putting capacitors across AC is pointless as each plate of the capacitor will be charging and discharging with each cycle of AC ( as you discovered) so you will end up with zero charge on them

forget the transformer and charge them directly from a DC supply

Dave

Ziggey said:
I have a twelve volt battery hooked up to a transformer that produces 120 v ac.
Do you mean an inverter? If you hook up a DC supply to a transformer, you'll just short out the supply.

Ziggey said:
When I hook it up though the transformer makes a noise like I'm shorting something out... :/
If you manage to hook up that level of AC voltage to your polarized caps, you're probably just going to see a lot of smoke.

Yes sorry I meant inverter... Ok I will have to modify my plan a little then thank you all for the help!

zig

Hello Zig,

Yes, it is possible to use capacitors to create a magnetic field with a transformer and coil. The process you have described is known as pulsed power, where the capacitors are charged and then discharged through the coil to create a strong magnetic field.

However, there are a few things to keep in mind when working with this setup. Firstly, make sure that the capacitors you are using are able to handle the voltage and current from the transformer. If they are not rated for high enough values, they may get damaged or cause a short circuit.

Additionally, it is important to properly connect the capacitors in parallel and in the correct polarity. Any mistakes in the wiring can result in a short circuit or an inefficient use of power.

Finally, the noise you are hearing from the transformer could be a sign of a problem. It could indicate that the capacitors are not properly connected or that there is a short circuit somewhere in the circuit. I would recommend double-checking your connections and possibly consulting with an expert in this area for further assistance.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Best,

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, it charges up by storing energy in the electric field between the plates.

How do capacitors work?

Capacitors work by storing electric charge on their plates. When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, electrons are attracted to the positive plate, while the negative plate repels electrons. This creates an electric field between the plates, and the capacitor continues to charge until it reaches its maximum capacity. When the voltage is removed, the capacitor discharges by releasing the stored energy.

What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

Capacitors have several purposes in a circuit. They can be used to filter out unwanted signals, stabilize power supplies, and store energy for later use. They can also be used in timing circuits and to block DC currents while allowing AC currents to pass through.

What is a coil, and how is it related to a capacitor?

A coil, also known as an inductor, is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a wire wound into a coil shape. A coil is often used in conjunction with a capacitor in a circuit to create a resonant circuit, which has many practical applications such as in radio frequency circuits and filters.

What is the difference between a capacitor and a coil?

The main difference between a capacitor and a coil is the type of energy they store. A capacitor stores energy in an electric field, while a coil stores energy in a magnetic field. Capacitors are typically used to store smaller amounts of energy for shorter periods of time, while coils can store larger amounts of energy for longer periods of time. Additionally, the behavior of capacitors and coils in a circuit differs, with capacitors blocking DC currents and allowing AC currents to pass through, while coils do the opposite, allowing DC currents to flow and blocking AC currents.