What happens if you use Tesla coil to charge a capacitor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a high DC voltage output with low current using a tesla coil and capacitor. The potential danger of working with high voltages is also mentioned, and it is advised to seek mentorship and proper safety measures before attempting this activity. The impact of high capacitance on the diode and the need for high voltage rated parts are also discussed.
jongmin1992
I am trying to create a high DC voltage output(with extremely low current output).

upload_2017-6-23_10-6-49.png
I thought of something like this. The left coil would be the tesla coil. Can I use this to charge the capacitor and create high DC voltage? What would happen if capacitance was really high?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Where will you get a rectifier diode with sufficient reverse voltage rating.
Where will you get a capacitor with a sufficient voltage rating.
Do you know what voltages you are going to encounter?

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What's the application? What's your background with high voltage?

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
Where will you get a rectifier diode with sufficient reverse voltage rating.
Where will you get a capacitor with a sufficient voltage rating.
Do you know what voltages you are going to encounter?

Will the voltage be built up to a very high level?(if the diode and capacitor can withstand, of course)
I know the voltage output from tesla coil is very high.
I don't have much experiece with high voltage. I want to know the theory and the potential danger.

jongmin1992 said:
I don't have much experiece with high voltage. I want to know the theory and the potential danger.

then you should be finding who lives in your area that can mentor you directly
you shouldn't be playing with very high voltages on your own when you have little experience

jongmin1992 said:
I am trying to create a high DC voltage output(with extremely low current output).

View attachment 205918 I thought of something like this. The left coil would be the tesla coil. Can I use this to charge the capacitor and create high DC voltage? What would happen if capacitance was really high?
Well, if you're speaking from a purely ideal point of view and completely disregard safety and part acquisition I can help with the "What would happen if capacitance was really high?" portion of your post. Other members, please feel free to correct me because I will learn from it as well.

The bigger your output capacitance the higher the peak current your diode will see. Since we're assuming perfect parts this won't matter but in reality it can make a difference.

davenn said:
then you should be finding who lives in your area that can mentor you directly
Good suggestion by @davenn

Based on the level of experience of the OP, this thread is closed as a dangerous activity discussion.

What is a Tesla coil?

A Tesla coil is an electrical resonant transformer circuit invented by Nikola Tesla in the late 1800s. It is used to produce high-voltage, low-current, high-frequency alternating-current electricity.

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and is used to store and release electrical energy.

How does a Tesla coil charge a capacitor?

A Tesla coil uses high-frequency alternating current (AC) to create a high-voltage, low-current electrical charge. This charge is then transferred to the capacitor, which stores the energy until it is released.

What happens if you use a Tesla coil to charge a capacitor?

If a Tesla coil is used to charge a capacitor, the capacitor will store the electrical energy and can discharge it in a quick burst. This can create a bright spark or even a small explosion, depending on the size and strength of the capacitor.

Is it dangerous to use a Tesla coil to charge a capacitor?

Yes, it can be dangerous to use a Tesla coil to charge a capacitor. The high voltage and current involved can cause electric shocks, burns, and even death. It is important to handle and use these devices with caution and proper safety measures.