In which scenario is this possible?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary, the brain teaser presents a situation where two individuals are half brothers, with one individual's mother being the other individual's mother as well. However, the other individual's father is also the first individual's son's brother. This scenario may seem impossible, but it is only possible if both individuals are half brothers.
Werg22
Here is a little brain teaser:

You are my brother, and your mother is my mother. However, your father is my son's brother. If no incest occurred, how is that situation possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Werg22 said:
Here is a little brain teaser:

You are my brother, and your mother is my mother. However, your father is my son's brother. If no incest occurred, how is that situation possible?

First off, by "brother" you have to mean "half-brother" in at least one, if not both uses of the word. So, because it must mean "half-brother" in at least one, since your wording affords no difference between the two, then BOTH may be half brothers, making the problem trivial.

Imagine:

"MY MOTHER" and "MY FATHER" have a child, which is "ME".

"ME" and Pat have a child, "MY SON".

Pat and Terry have a child, "YOUR FATHER"

"YOUR FATHER" and "MY MOTHER" have a child, "YOU".

DaveE

You are correct. It has to be assumed that they are half-brothers though since if they were real brothers it would make the scenario impossible.

I was wondering along those lines too, but it stretches my idea of a "valid" teaser, because the trick to it is so obvious while at the same time rendering the problem trivial.

All questions are trivial when you know an absolute answer.

What interests me is seeing a grey one though, food for thought, like "Einstein's" riddle.

1. What is the meaning of "scenario" in this context?

"Scenario" refers to a specific situation or set of circumstances that is being considered or discussed.

2. Can you give an example of a possible scenario?

Sure, an example of a possible scenario could be a company considering different pricing strategies for a new product launch.

3. How do you determine if a scenario is possible?

The determination of whether a scenario is possible depends on various factors, such as the laws of physics, human capabilities, and available resources. It also involves considering the likelihood of the scenario occurring based on current knowledge and data.

4. What is the importance of considering different scenarios?

Considering different scenarios allows for a comprehensive analysis and understanding of a situation. It can help identify potential risks and challenges, as well as potential opportunities and solutions.

5. How can we use scenarios in scientific research?

Scenarios can be used in scientific research to explore different possibilities and outcomes. They can also be used to predict and plan for potential future events or situations.