What are animal reactions to death?

In summary, if you try to take one of a mother cat's baby cubs and kill it in front of her, the reaction is likely indifference or even apathy.
revv
This might be a little unsettling for some and I don't know exactly where to post this but here we go...

What would the reaction of say a mother cat be in the moment if you where to take one of it's baby and kill it in front of them? Would they attack you? Would they show some signs of sadness? Would they even be aware? I have the feeling the mother cat wouldn't do anything at all, are they able to understand what just happened?

There's a few things to also take into consideration like if the mother is familiar and comfortable with you around.

Take this scenario for example... you are laying on the ground petting it's baby with the mother and then you just slam it into the ground, what would the reaction be like?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know animals experience grief but they do this after the fact that the body hasn't moved in a long time isn't this the case?

revv said:
What would the reaction of say a mother cat be in the moment if you where to take one of it's baby and kill it in front of them?
I think you should try this with an animal more your size, to make it a more fair experiment. Say, a mama bear and her cub. Be sure to have a friend take some video of your experiement, so you can properly be nominated for the 2020 Darwin Award.

More like if they realize what death looks like

Death is an abstract concept, so no, they don't understand it philosophically like us humans, but certainly many animals especially scavengers know how to detect a dead animal.

berkeman said:
I think you should try this with an animal more your size, to make it a more fair experiment. Say, a mama bear and her cub. Be sure to have a friend take some video of your experiement, so you can properly be nominated for the 2020 Darwin Award.

But if the mother bear is familiar and comfortable around you... would they still try to attack you? Of course any wild animal will attack someone if they just run and try to hurt there cubs.

revv said:
But if the mother bear is familiar and comfortable around you... would they still try to attack you? Of course any wild animal will attack someone if they just run and try to hurt there cubs.
Would you not lash out at someone who murdered your loved one just because you knew them a bit?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Would you not lash out at someone who murdered your loved one just because you knew them a bit?

Yea I probably would but where talking about animals here

revv said:
Yea I probably would but where talking about animals here
Humans are animals

btw, there are tons of animals that use "play dead" as an evasive maneuver. So it's not so clear cut.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Death is an abstract concept, so no, they don't understand it philosophically like us humans, but certainly many animals especially scavengers know how to detect a dead animal.

So why can't they understand it philosophically like us humans if we are both animals?

revv said:
So why can't they understand it philosophically like us humans if we are both animals?
Same reason we can't change color like chameleons. We happened to evolve with a sophisticated brain.

revv said:
But if the mother bear is familiar and comfortable around you... would they still try to attack you?
Just be sure that someone gets this experiment on video. That's all I'm asking.

revv said:
But if the mother bear is familiar and comfortable around you... would they still try to attack you?
Most likely, yes. In 'panic' or 'fight' mode any animal will just jump without thinking.
Just watch some cat videos and you will understand.

I think there's too many variables for the reaction to take into consideration, you can delete this thread.

1. What is the typical reaction of animals to death?

The reaction of animals to death can vary depending on the species and the circumstances surrounding the death. Some animals may show no visible reaction, while others may exhibit behaviors such as mourning, aggression, or avoidance.

2. Do animals grieve like humans do?

It is difficult to determine if animals experience grief in the same way that humans do. While some animals may show behaviors that could be interpreted as grieving, it is not clear if this is due to an emotional response or simply instinctual behavior.

3. Do animals understand the concept of death?

It is not known for certain if animals have an understanding of death as a concept. Some animals may show signs of distress or confusion when a member of their social group dies, but it is unclear if they understand the permanence of death.

4. How do animals react to the death of their own species?

The reaction of animals to the death of their own species can vary depending on the relationship between the individuals and the social structure of the species. Some animals may show signs of mourning or aggression, while others may simply move on as if nothing has happened.

5. Can animals experience trauma or PTSD from witnessing death?

There is evidence that some animals, particularly highly social and intelligent species, can experience trauma or PTSD-like symptoms from witnessing death or other traumatic events. This has been observed in animals such as elephants, primates, and dolphins, but more research is needed to fully understand the extent of this phenomenon.