Strong motor using permanent magnets?

In summary: Good for you for having a goal and working towards it.Well look, that is my main goal but its kinda hard to do. I'd like to study this and maybe improve it gradually. Having a lot of options how to do so is kinda good for me it acts as a support for my goal.By experimenting a few things maybe I will stumble on something different and maybe in a year or two or 3,4,5 what ever reach my goal.Good for you for having a goal and working towards it.In summary, it is possible to create a powerful electric motor using neodymium magnets and an electromagnet. The magnetic field created by the electromagnet could potentially attract a large and stronge neody
Momento
Greetings all.

I was wondering if I could build a low energy consuming but a powerful motor using neodymium magnets and a AC electromagnet(for switching poles N>S>N>S,etc...)

The magnetic field created by the electromagnet could potentially attract a large and stronge neodymium magnet in the motor and repel it quickly because the magnet itself is stronger then the electromagnet, resulting in a strong, less consuming motor.

Electromagnets pull/repel force rated at : 5 lb
Neodymium pull/repel force rated at: 20 lb

Is all of that possibile?

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Permanent magnet motors are "off-the shelf" items, so you are really re-inventing the wheel. Also, be aware that good motors today can be 90-95% efficient, so there really isn't much to be gained by making them more efficient.

phyzguy said:
Permanent magnet motors are "off-the shelf" items, so you are really re-inventing the wheel. Also, be aware that good motors today can be 90-95% efficient, so there really isn't much to be gained by making them more efficient.

You didn't really answer the question... :confused:

Maybe I didn't understand your question. I thought you were asking whether it was possible to build an electric motor by combining permanent magnets with electromagnets which are switched to change the polarity so that they alternately attract and repel the permanent magnets. The answer is yes, it is possible. It's called a permanent magnet motor and you can buy them from many sources. Then I thought that you were asking whether the use of permanent magnets makes the motor more efficient. The answer is maybe (I think), but motors are already very efficient so there isn't much to be gained. What other questions did you have?

phyzguy said:
Maybe I didn't understand your question. I thought you were asking whether it was possible to build an electric motor by combining permanent magnets with electromagnets which are switched to change the polarity so that they alternately attract and repel the permanent magnets. The answer is yes, it is possible. It's called a permanent magnet motor and you can buy them from many sources. Then I thought that you were asking whether the use of permanent magnets makes the motor more efficient. The answer is maybe (I think), but motors are already very efficient so there isn't much to be gained. What other questions did you have?

Thanks for everything, I believe the use of permanent magnets would lead us to higher efficiency then normal non-magnetic rotars.

phyzguy said:

If you think about it... Most motors today induce a magnetic field on a metal. What if you induced an magnetic field upon another magnetic field from a permanent magnet! I'd think we would have consumed less energy "Input" and would get a promising result.

What do you all think? Are permanent magnets motors stronger and better then the conventional ones?

How much better than 95% are you hoping to get?!

russ_watters said:
How much better than 95% are you hoping to get?!

As high as I can get and I would doubt to get even close to 80% lol I am just experimenting around that's all.
Shoot, if I got over 95% I'll be going all crazy!

If you can't even get 95%, how is this endeavour even worth the effort? I thought your goal was to build a more efficient motor? :confused:

russ_watters said:
If you can't even get 95%, how is this endeavour even worth the effort? I thought your goal was to build a more efficient motor? :confused:

Well look, that is my main goal but its kinda hard to do. I'd like to study this and maybe improve it gradually. Having a lot of options how to do so is kinda good for me it acts as a support for my goal.

By experimenting a few things maybe I will stumble on something different and maybe in a year or two or 3,4,5 what ever reach my goal.

1. How do permanent magnets create a strong motor?

Permanent magnets are made of materials, such as iron, cobalt, and nickel, that have their own magnetic fields. These magnets have a north and south pole, and when placed near each other, they create a strong magnetic force. In a motor, this force is used to rotate a shaft and generate mechanical energy.

2. What are the advantages of using permanent magnets in motors?

Compared to electromagnets, permanent magnets do not require an external power source to maintain their magnetic field. This makes them more efficient and reliable for use in motors. Additionally, permanent magnets have a higher energy density, meaning they can produce a stronger magnetic force in a smaller size.

3. Can permanent magnets be demagnetized?

Yes, permanent magnets can lose their magnetism over time due to factors such as high temperatures, strong external magnetic fields, or physical damage. However, the materials used in permanent magnets are carefully chosen to have a high coercivity, meaning they are resistant to demagnetization.

4. How can the strength of permanent magnets be increased?

The strength of a permanent magnet can be increased by using materials with a higher magnetic saturation, such as rare-earth magnets. Additionally, stacking multiple magnets together in a specific orientation can also increase their overall strength.

5. Are there any limitations to using permanent magnets in motors?

One limitation of using permanent magnets in motors is their high cost, especially for rare-earth magnets. They also have a limited temperature range and cannot be used in high-temperature applications. In some cases, the magnetization of permanent magnets can also be affected by external factors, leading to a decrease in performance.