Upright Storage of Tiny Screws Using Magnetism

In summary: Other than building a magnet out of a steel spike in elementary school, I'm not a magnet person. I don't know if it would be possible to have drill bits with starkly different magnetic pulls.
scott123
TL;DR Summary
Tiny laptop screw comes out of the laptop adhered to my magnetic mini screwdriver bit. I'm looking for a means of keeping that screw upright (head up) until I need it again.
It's a long story, but I'm in the process of taking apart 100s of laptops involving 1000s of laptop screws. I'm trying to come up with ways to take the screw off the drill bit, keep it upright, and then weaken the bond enough so the drill bit will pick up again- to put the screw back. Right now, I'm picturing a magnet sheet under a thin piece of plywood with holes drilled into it. Screw comes out of the laptop, then into one of the holes, the magnet sheet will hopefully be stronger than the magnetized bit and it will pull the screw off the bit. When it comes time to put the screw back, I remove the sheet and have a board with loose screws sitting upright in holes, ready for the screwdriver to pick them up.

Other than building a magnet out of a steel spike in elementary school, I'm not a magnet person. Will a flexible magnet sheet/strip outpull a magnetic drill bit?

I was also thinking of making some kind of cheap flat electric magnet that I could turn on to suck the screws off the bit, and then turn off to allow the bit to pick them screws up again.

Another thing that came to me was having two drill bits, one with a strong magnetic charge, one weak, and instead of putting the screws into empty holes, place them in something grippy like styrofoam. I could use the weak magnetic bit for getting the screws into the styrofoam and the strong bit for getting them out. I've seen inexpensive magnetizers- and DIY approaches to magnetizing screwdrivers, but I don't know if it's possible to have drill bits with starkly different magnetic pulls.

One catch. I need to do this as cheaply as possible.

Engineering news on Phys.org
scott123 said:
Will a flexible magnet sheet/strip outpull a magnetic drill bit?
In my very limited experience, I would think not.

What I would suggest is that you forget about magnets (other than for the magnetic screwdriver bit). Just drill the holes in plywood and use tweezers to hold the screw in the hole while you remove the driver bit.

Maybe something like this silicone mat would do instead?
Takes some time to find one with the right sized stubs/bumps/whatever. How should those small things called, actually? o0)

1. How does magnetism help in upright storage of tiny screws?

Magnetism helps in upright storage of tiny screws by using the magnetic force to attract and hold the screws in place. This allows for a secure and organized storage solution, preventing the screws from getting lost or mixed up.

2. What type of magnets are used for upright storage of tiny screws?

Neodymium magnets are commonly used for upright storage of tiny screws due to their strong magnetic force and small size. These magnets are also known as rare-earth magnets and are commonly used in various industrial and scientific applications.

3. Can any type of screw be stored upright using magnetism?

Not all types of screws can be stored upright using magnetism. Only ferromagnetic materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, can be attracted to magnets. Therefore, only screws made of these materials can be stored upright using magnetism.

4. Is upright storage of tiny screws using magnetism safe?

Yes, upright storage of tiny screws using magnetism is safe as long as the magnets are handled with care. Neodymium magnets are very strong and can cause injuries if they snap together or come in contact with metal objects. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling these magnets.

5. Can upright storage of tiny screws using magnetism be used for other small objects?

Yes, upright storage of tiny screws using magnetism can be used for other small objects as long as they are made of ferromagnetic materials. This method is commonly used for storing small nails, bolts, and other metal objects in workshops and laboratories.