Creating a Y = kx + m plot in excel

In summary, the conversation discusses the values for t and ln(V∞-Vt) in relation to ln (V∞-Vt) = ln V∞ - k''t. The teacher explains that plotting ln (V∞-Vt) against t will form a straight line with k'' as the slope. The student attempted to plot the values but noticed that the Y values were changed to fit the X values and the slope was calculated to be -0.2999. The student inquires if this is the k'' value mentioned by the teacher.
Akova

Homework Statement

Values for t

Values for ln(V-Vt)

ln V = 3,63

Homework Equations

ln (V-Vt) = ln V - k''t

Teacher Quote: "If ln (V-Vt) is plotted against t in a diagram a straight line will form with the k'' as the slope."

The Attempt at a Solution

I marked the t-values as X and ln(V-Vt) as Y and excel drew a plot that completely changed the values of Y, making them ten times as big to fit the X values.

Physics news on Phys.org
The plot looks like a line and the slope is -0,2999. Is this the k'' value the teacher is referring to?

How can I fix this?

It seems like the issue may be with the scale of your plot. You can adjust the scale by right-clicking on the Y-axis and selecting "Format Axis." From there, you can change the minimum and maximum values to better fit your data. Additionally, make sure that you are using a scatter plot for this type of data, as it will not accurately display on a line graph. I also recommend double-checking your data to ensure that it is entered correctly. If you continue to have trouble, please reach out to your teacher for assistance.

1. How do I create a Y = kx + m plot in excel?

To create a Y = kx + m plot in excel, follow these steps:

1. Select your data points in two columns, one for x-values and one for y-values.
  2. Insert a scatter plot by clicking on the "Insert" tab and selecting "Scatter" from the charts section.
  3. Right-click on one of the data points and select "Add Trendline" from the menu.
  4. In the "Format Trendline" window, select "Linear" as the Trendline type.
  5. Check the box next to "Display Equation on chart" and "Display R-squared value on chart."
  6. The equation displayed on the chart will be in the form of Y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.
  7. To convert to Y = kx + m form, simply substitute k for m in the equation.

2. How do I change the value of k in a Y = kx + m plot in excel?

To change the value of k in a Y = kx + m plot in excel, follow these steps:

1. Right-click on the equation displayed on the chart and select "Format Trendline" from the menu.
  2. In the "Format Trendline" window, select "Linear" as the Trendline type.
  3. Under "Trendline Options," manually enter a new value for the slope, k.
  4. The equation on the chart will automatically update with the new value of k.

3. How do I add a trendline to an existing Y = kx + m plot in excel?

To add a trendline to an existing Y = kx + m plot in excel, follow these steps:

1. Right-click on one of the data points and select "Add Trendline" from the menu.
  2. In the "Format Trendline" window, select "Linear" as the Trendline type.
  3. Check the box next to "Display Equation on chart" and "Display R-squared value on chart."
  4. The equation displayed on the chart will be in the form of Y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.
  5. To convert to Y = kx + m form, simply substitute k for m in the equation.

4. How do I change the appearance of the trendline in a Y = kx + m plot in excel?

To change the appearance of the trendline in a Y = kx + m plot in excel, follow these steps:

1. Right-click on the trendline and select "Format Trendline" from the menu.
  2. In the "Format Trendline" window, you can change the color, style, and thickness of the trendline.
  3. You can also add a label for the trendline by checking the box next to "Display Equation on chart" and "Display R-squared value on chart."

5. How do I add error bars to a Y = kx + m plot in excel?

To add error bars to a Y = kx + m plot in excel, follow these steps:

1. Right-click on one of the data points and select "Add Error Bars" from the menu.
  2. Select "Custom" under "Error Amount" and click on the "Specify Value" button.
  3. In the "Custom Error Bars" window, select the range of cells that contain your error values.
  4. Click "OK" to add the error bars to your plot.