Really quick question about entropy

• Thread starter proton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary: The net entropy must remain the same or increase, according to the second law of thermodynamics. Alternatively, the zeroth law of thermodynamics states that if system A is in thermal equilibrium with system B, and system B is in thermal equilibrium with system C, then systems A and C are also in thermal equilibrium. So, to properly understand the question in a physics context, it should be presented clearly. In summary, the question asks whether the combined system, with accessible states W_A and W_B, has the same number of microstates at equilibrium and nonequilibrium conditions, which is determined by the second law of thermodynamics or the zeroth law of thermodynamics.
proton
My question may be kind of a dumb question, but I tried searching for the explanation online and in my crappy textbook and my lecture notes are kinda unclear.

Consider 2 systems, A and B, that are brought into contact with each other, with accessible states W_A and W_B, respectively. After contact, the combined system then has (W_A)(W_B). Now, is this true for equilibrium and/or nonequilibrium?

My guess is that its at nonequilibrium because the net entropy must remain the same or increase, which leads to the 2nd law of thermodynamics

Physics news on Phys.org
you actually may try the zeorth law of themodynamics whichstates that if a system a is i themal equilibrium with a system b and system b is in thermal equi. with system c then and c are also in thermal equi.
i may have ans. your ques. wrong as it is unclesr to me

present quesstion in clear way

proton said:
My question may be kind of a dumb question, but I tried searching for the explanation online and in my crappy textbook and my lecture notes are kinda unclear.

Consider 2 systems, A and B, that are brought into contact with each other, with accessible states W_A and W_B, respectively. After contact, the combined system then has (W_A)(W_B). Now, is this true for equilibrium and/or nonequilibrium?

My guess is that its at nonequilibrium because the net entropy must remain the same or increase, which leads to the 2nd law of thermodynamics

in above sentences :rofl:your confused me atAfter contact, the combined system then has (W_A)(W_B). in physics you must represent question in clear way to proper understading OK:smile::smile::smile:

electrous said:
in above sentences :rofl:your confused me atAfter contact, the combined system then has (W_A)(W_B). in physics you must represent question in clear way to proper understading OK:smile::smile::smile:

Ok, after systems A and B are brought into contact, the total number of microstates in the combined system consisting of systems A and B, is equal to (W_A)*(W_B)

1. What is entropy and why is it important?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of systems, such as chemical reactions, and can be used to predict the direction of spontaneous processes.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time. This means that the disorder or randomness of a system will tend to increase, leading to less energy being available for useful work.

3. Can entropy be reversed or reduced?

In isolated systems, entropy cannot be reversed or reduced. However, in open systems where energy can be exchanged with the surroundings, it is possible to decrease the entropy of a system by expending energy.

4. How does entropy relate to the concept of equilibrium?

Entropy is closely related to the concept of equilibrium. At equilibrium, the entropy of a system is at its maximum, meaning that there is no more potential for change or energy to be harnessed from the system.

5. How is the concept of entropy used in different fields of science?

Entropy is a fundamental concept in many fields of science, including thermodynamics, chemistry, biology, and information theory. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of systems and their components, as well as to measure the efficiency of processes and systems.