Temperature and entropy for two gases mixing

In summary, the system is made up of two gases, neon and nitrogen, with different temperatures. After mixing, the final temperature is determined by the sum of the individual temperatures.
Incand

Homework Statement

A system is made up of two halves. In one there's 10kg neon gas with the temperature ##20 \circ##C, in the other 10kg nitrogen gas with the temperature ##100 \circ## C. Suppose the septum is removed so that thermodynamic equilibrium may appear and the gases mix.

Calculate the final temperature ##T_f## and the total change in entropy.

Homework Equations

##pV=nRT##
Internal energy (ideal gas)
##U = nC_VT##

The Attempt at a Solution

I got two solutions (for the first question), one done by me and one by our lecturer (who I unfortunaly can't ask) and what I'm wondering why mine is wrong (if it is).
My solution:
##n_1 = \frac{10\cdot 10^3}{20.17} = 495.8 mol##
##n_2 = \frac{10 \cdot 10^3}{2*14} = 357 mol##
Assuming the gas is ideal we get
##p_1=n_1RT_1/V_1## and ##p_2 = n_2RT_2/V_1##
Now assuming the gases where alone one at a time in the container double the volume we would get
##p_{f1} = n_1RT_f/(2V_1)## and ##p_(f2) = n_2RT_f/(2V_1)##
Assuming the mixing is done first by an isothermal and then and isokor process (our teacher made the exact same assumption as well)
##p_f = p_{f1} +p_{f2} = \frac{n_1RT_1}{2V_1} + \frac{n_2RT_2}{2V_2} = \frac{R}{2V_2}(n_1T_1+n_2T_2)##
I now make the assumption that pressure from both gases is equal to the pressure from each of the gases added together (I don't know if this is correct but I think there is some thermodynamic principle that allow me to use the superposition principle here).
##p_f\cdot 2V_1 = (n_1+n_2)RT_f##
Inserting ##p_f## into the equation gives us
##T_f = \frac{n_1T_1+n_2T_2}{n_1+n_2}##

While the one done by teacher uses internal energy and instead end up at the answer of
##T_f = \frac{3/2n_1T_1+5/2n_2T_2}{3/2n_1+5/2n_2}##I could add the solution from our teacher too if it's needed (it's rather lengthy) but I'm mostly wondering if anyone could see what I do wrong. Both solutions give numeric values well within the solution at the back of the book but I would assume I'm wrong, I just don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your assumption that, after mixing, the partial pressures of the two gases is the same is incorrect.

The key to this problem is recognizing that there is no change in internal energy. That's what your teacher did. You can see that from the 5/2 and 3/2 factors.

Chet

Thanks again Chet, always helping me out!

1. What is the relationship between temperature and entropy when two gases mix?

The relationship between temperature and entropy for two gases mixing is that as the temperature increases, the total entropy of the system also increases. This means that the system becomes more disordered and chaotic as the temperature rises.

2. How does the entropy change when two gases with different temperatures mix?

When two gases with different temperatures mix, the total entropy of the system increases. This is because the higher temperature gas has a higher entropy and when it mixes with the lower temperature gas, the overall entropy increases to a value between the two initial temperatures.

3. What is the significance of the change in entropy when two gases mix?

The change in entropy when two gases mix is significant because it is a measure of the disorder or randomness of the system. An increase in entropy indicates a more chaotic and disordered system, while a decrease in entropy indicates a more ordered and structured system.

4. Can temperature and entropy be used to predict the behavior of gases when they mix?

Temperature and entropy can be used to predict the behavior of gases when they mix. By understanding the relationship between temperature and entropy, scientists can make predictions about how the gases will mix and how the entropy of the system will change.

5. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to temperature and entropy for two gases mixing?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. When two gases mix, the total entropy of the system increases, thus following the second law of thermodynamics.