Is Haiku the New Alternative to Linux and Unix for Basic Desktop Needs?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In summary, Haiku is a free and open-source operating system that is gaining popularity as an alternative to Linux and Unix for basic desktop needs. It is known for its simplicity, speed, and user-friendly interface, making it a viable option for those looking for a straightforward and efficient operating system. While it may not have the same level of support and compatibility as Linux and Unix, Haiku offers a unique experience for users seeking a lightweight and streamlined desktop experience.
waht
In the old days the BeOS was another competitor to linux, and unix, but has since died until now. Some of the former code has been used to make Haiku. It is not linux and not unix, it's somewhere in between. I'm not sure what kernel the new release uses, definitely not linux. The new Haiku release is tailored to be a simple desktop OS, not with fancy features.

With these economy specs, Haiku could be an alternative to some of those nano versions of linux and unix.

Haiku will run on a Pentium or better CPU with 128MB of RAM, 600MB of storage space and a VESA compliant video card. In fact, it has been tested to work on CPU's as slow as a Pentium II 400MHz with 64MB of RAM. However, for a satisfactory user experience, we recommend at least a Pentium III with 256MB of RAM and 2GB of storage space

Official site:
http://www.haiku-os.org/

Youtube demo:
If you guys ever install, tell us what's it like, or post any general comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Interesting! I've never played with it before, but any competition is good competition :)

I am excited to see the revival of BeOS after a decade. It is always interesting to see old technologies being brought back to life and adapted to fit current needs. The fact that some of the former code has been used to create Haiku is a testament to the robustness and relevance of the original BeOS.

One of the most intriguing aspects of Haiku is that it is neither Linux nor Unix, but somewhere in between. This unique positioning could potentially offer a new perspective and approach to desktop operating systems. I am curious to see what kernel Haiku uses and how it differs from the more widely used Linux kernel.

I find it interesting that Haiku is tailored to be a simple desktop OS without fancy features. This could potentially make it a more lightweight and efficient option for those looking for a basic operating system. It is also impressive that Haiku can run on older hardware, such as a Pentium II with only 64MB of RAM. This could make it a viable option for those with older computers or in developing countries with limited resources.

I am looking forward to trying out Haiku and experiencing it for myself. I appreciate the recommendation for at least a Pentium III with 256MB of RAM and 2GB of storage space for a satisfactory user experience. I will definitely keep an eye on Haiku's development and potential uses in the future.

1. What is BeOS and why is it being revived after a decade?

BeOS was an operating system created by Be Inc. in the 1990s. It was known for its advanced multimedia capabilities and was initially intended to be a replacement for Mac OS. It is being revived after a decade due to its unique features and potential for modern computing.

2. Who is behind the revival of BeOS?

The revival of BeOS is being led by a group of developers and enthusiasts who are passionate about the operating system. The project is open source and anyone can contribute to its development.

3. What changes have been made to BeOS in its revival?

The revived version of BeOS, called "Haiku", has undergone significant changes since its original release. It has been updated with modern hardware support, improved stability and security, and a more user-friendly interface.

4. What are the advantages of using the revived BeOS?

The revived BeOS offers several advantages, such as its lightweight and efficient design, fast boot-up and operation, and advanced multimedia capabilities. It also has a modular design, allowing users to customize and add features as needed.

5. Will BeOS be able to compete with other modern operating systems?

While BeOS may not have the same market share as other popular operating systems, it offers a unique user experience and potential for niche applications. Its revival has garnered a lot of interest and it will continue to evolve and improve with the help of its community of developers and users.

Back