Enthelpy, partial derivatives

In summary: H \over \partial T}\right)_{P,N}=\left({T\partial S-V\partial P \over \partial T}\right)_{P,N}$$Now that we know C_{P,N}, we can use (1) to find C_{Y,N}:$$C_{Y,N}=\frac{T}{N} \left ( \frac{ \partial S}{\partial T } \right ) _{Y,N}$$
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Demonstrate that [itex]C_{Y,N}=\left ( \frac{ \partial H}{\partial T } \right ) _{Y,N}[/itex] where H is the enthalpy and Y is an intensive variable.

Homework Equations

(1) [itex]C_{Y,N}=\frac{T}{N} \left ( \frac{ \partial S}{\partial T } \right ) _{Y,N}[/itex]
(2) [itex]T= \left ( \frac{ \partial U}{\partial S } \right ) _{X,N}[/itex] where X is an extensive variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using (1) and (2) I reach that [itex]C_{Y,N}=T \left ( \frac{ \partial S}{\partial T } \right ) _{Y,N}+ P \left ( \frac{ \partial V}{\partial T } \right ) _{Y,N}[/itex]. I don't know how to proceed further, I'm really stuck here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which intensive variables are we talking about?
What do you get if you pick the first one that springs to mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Serena said:
Which intensive variables are we talking about?
What do you get if you pick the first one that springs to mind?
Usually the pressure, but it is not specified.
[itex]C_{P,N}=\frac{T}{N} \left ( \frac{ \partial S}{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N}[/itex].
Where [itex]\left ( \frac{ \partial S}{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N}=\left ( \frac{ \partial U}{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N}\left ( \frac{ \partial S}{\partial U } \right ) _{P,N}=\frac{1}{T} \left ( \frac{ \partial U}{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N}[/itex].
Thus [itex]C_{P,N}= \frac{1}{N} \left ( \frac{\partial U }{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N } [/itex].
Now I use the relation [itex]U=H-PV[/itex] to get [itex]\left ( \frac{ \partial U}{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N}=\left ( \frac{ \partial H}{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N} - \left [ \underbrace { \left ( \frac{ \partial P}{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N} V }_{=0} + P \left ( \frac{ \partial V}{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N} \right ][/itex].
Therefore I'm left with [itex]C_{P,N}=\frac{1}{N} \left [ \left ( \frac{ \partial H}{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N} - P \left ( \frac{ \partial V}{\partial T } \right ) _{P,N} \right ][/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, let's start with H=U+PV, or rather dH=TdS+VdP.

When I take the partial derivative with respect to T, and with P,N constant, I almost get what you're looking for (typo?).

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Hmm, let's start with H=U+PV, or rather dH=TdS-VdP.

When I take the partial derivative with respect to T, and with P,N constant, I almost get what you're looking for (typo?).
Hmm I don't think there's a typo.
Anyway you took the partial derivative of "dH"? I'm having some troubles to figure this out :)

dH=TdS+VdP
So:
$$\left({\partial H \over \partial T}\right)_{P,N}=\left({T\partial S + V\partial P \over \partial T}\right)_{P,N}$$

Factor out and replace with ##C_{P,N}## where applicable...

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that measures the total energy of a system, including its internal energy and the amount of work it can do. It is often represented by the symbol "H" and is typically measured in units of joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ).

2. How is enthalpy related to partial derivatives?

In thermodynamics, partial derivatives are used to describe how a system changes in response to small changes in its variables. Enthalpy is one of these variables, and its partial derivative can provide important information about the behavior of a system, such as how much heat is required to raise its temperature.

3. What is the significance of partial derivatives in studying enthalpy?

Partial derivatives are important in studying enthalpy because they allow us to determine how the enthalpy of a system changes with respect to different variables, such as temperature, pressure, or composition. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of a system.

4. How are partial derivatives of enthalpy calculated?

The partial derivatives of enthalpy can be calculated using mathematical formulas that involve the variables and equations that describe the system. In some cases, they can also be determined experimentally through measurements and data analysis.

5. What are some real-world applications of enthalpy and partial derivatives?

Enthalpy and partial derivatives have many practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of industrial processes, energy systems, and chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as meteorology, where they help predict weather patterns and study atmospheric dynamics.