When does the mass of object comes into projectile motion equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of kinematics and trigonometry to calculate the speed needed for a 78g basketball to be launched at an angle of 52.4 degrees from a distance of 14.7m from the basket. The hypotenuse of the triangle is found using the distance and angle, and the remaining side is found using trigonometry. The mass of the basketball should be taken into account in all equations involving "m". Consider the physics of the situation rather than focusing on the equations.
survivorboiii
A 78g basketball is launched at an angle is 52.4 degrees from a distance of 14.7 m from the basket. Ball is released at the same height as basket (10 feet). Acceleration is 9.8 m/s2. What speed will the player need to give the ball?

I know that I'm supposed to use the kinematics and trig to figure out the other sides to the triangle.

I found the hypotenuse by doing 14.7 / (cos 52.4) to get 24.09. The last remaining side is found by using (14.7 tan 52.4).

Now what? Where do I put the mass of the basketball into the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
survivorboiii said:
A 78g basketball is launched at an angle is 52.4 degrees from a distance of 14.7 m from the basket. Ball is released at the same height as basket (10 feet). Acceleration is 9.8 m/s2. What speed will the player need to give the ball?

I know that I'm supposed to use the kinematics and trig to figure out the other sides to the triangle.

I found the hypotenuse by doing 14.7 / (cos 52.4) to get 24.09. The last remaining side is found by using (14.7 tan 52.4).
14.7m is the horizontal distance to the basket - which triangle did you compute the hypotenuse for? Why do you need it?

Now what? Where do I put the mass of the basketball into the equation?
Everywhere you see an "m" or other symbol indicating that mass goes there.

Instead of worrying about the equations and what you are "supposed" to do - why not consider the physics of the situation?

1. When does the mass of an object come into projectile motion equations?

The mass of an object is a crucial factor in projectile motion equations and is taken into account from the very beginning. The equations are based on the assumption that the object has a certain mass, and this mass affects its trajectory and other aspects of its motion.

2. Is the mass of an object constant in projectile motion?

Yes, the mass of an object is considered to be constant in projectile motion. This means that it does not change during the motion and remains the same throughout the entire trajectory.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its projectile motion?

The mass of an object affects its projectile motion in several ways. It affects the object's initial velocity and acceleration, which in turn affects its trajectory. A heavier object will require more force to achieve the same velocity and will also experience a greater force of gravity, leading to a different trajectory compared to a lighter object.

4. Can the mass of an object be ignored in projectile motion equations?

No, the mass of an object cannot be ignored in projectile motion equations. As mentioned earlier, mass is a crucial factor in these equations, and ignoring it would lead to inaccurate results. Even if the object's mass is very small, it still needs to be taken into consideration.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its range in projectile motion?

The mass of an object affects its range in projectile motion by influencing the object's initial velocity and acceleration. A heavier object will require more force to achieve the same initial velocity, resulting in a shorter range compared to a lighter object. Additionally, the greater force of gravity acting on a heavier object will also cause it to have a shorter range.