Optics for Biomedicine: Limited Programs & Duke's Plans

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's strong interest in optics with biomedical applications and the limited number of programs in this field. They mentioned the University of Central Florida, University of Rochester, and University of Arizona as the biggest programs, but expressed a desire to explore other options. The possibility of Duke's Fitzpatrick Institute having ambitious future plans was brought up, with a mention of their strong link in medicine. The University of Alabama in Huntsville was also suggested as a potential program to consider, along with other options such as Beckman Laser Institute (U. California Irvine), Drexel, and the University of Alabama in Birmingham. It was suggested that a strong Biomedical Engineering program may be a better fit for the speaker's interests than a
MelioraGator
I have a very strong interest in optics with biomedical applications, and I have been noticing this field growing over the last few years; however, the number of programs seem very limited. The big programs are University of Central Florida, University of Rochester, and University of Arizona. I do not want to limit myself to applying to three programs. What other candidates exist and currently growing? Does anyone know if the Fitzpatrick institute at Duke has ambitious future plans? I ask about Duke mostly due to their strong link in medicine.

Physics news on Phys.org
I attended the University of Alabama in Huntsville and would encourage you to look at what they have to offer. Other possible programs include: Beckman Laser Institute (U. California Irvine), Drexel, and the University of Alabama in Birmingham.

Generally, you may be looking for a strong Biomedical Engineering program instead of a Physics program.

What is the focus of "Optics for Biomedicine: Limited Programs & Duke's Plans"?

The focus of "Optics for Biomedicine: Limited Programs & Duke's Plans" is to explore the intersection of optics and biomedicine, specifically the use of optical techniques in biomedical research and clinical practice.

What are some examples of optical techniques used in biomedicine?

Some examples of optical techniques used in biomedicine include optical coherence tomography (OCT), fluorescence imaging, and Raman spectroscopy. These techniques allow for non-invasive, high-resolution imaging of biological tissues and processes.

Why is Duke University interested in this topic?

Duke University is interested in the topic of optics for biomedicine because it is a leader in both optics and biomedicine research. By combining these two fields, Duke hopes to advance our understanding of biological processes and improve medical diagnosis and treatment.

Are there any limitations to the use of optics in biomedicine?

Yes, there are limitations to the use of optics in biomedicine. One limitation is the depth at which light can penetrate tissue, which can restrict the use of certain techniques for imaging deeper structures. Additionally, the interpretation of optical data can be complex and requires specialized training.

What are some potential future developments in this field?

Some potential future developments in the field of optics for biomedicine include the use of advanced optical imaging techniques, such as multiphoton microscopy and super-resolution microscopy, for studying cellular and molecular processes. There is also ongoing research into the development of new optical probes and contrast agents for improved imaging and detection of diseases.