Suitable list of schools for an MS to apply for a PhD program in Optics

Your name]In summary, the student is a fifth year BS-MS student with a CGPA of 8.1/10 and GRE scores of 310/340 (168Q, 142V, 4AWA). They are applying for graduate schools in ECE departments and have listed 12 universities as potential options. However, they are open to suggestions and are seeking advice on their choices. The suggestion is made to consider researching faculty members, location, and potentially including the Physics GRE in their application.
Sharvari
Fifth Year BS-MS Student from one of the premier institutes in India
CGPA: 8.1/10
GRE : 310/340
168Q 142V 4AWA
TOEFL: 104/120
22R 27L 26S 29W

I am applying for graduate schools in the following universities. Is the list sufficient? Any suggestion is most welcome.
The list is not priority-wise.

Institute of Optics, University of Rochester
CREOL, University of Central Florida
School of Optical Sciences, University of Arizona
Center for Photonics, University of Michigan (ECE Department)
Northwestern University (Physics Department)
Ohio State University (ECE Department)
Duke University (ECE Department)
North Carolina State University (ECE Department)
University of Washington (ECE Department)
Boston University (ECE Department)
University of Texas, Austin (ECE Department)
UNC Charlotte (ECE Department)

Since I am applying mostly to ECE departments, I am planning not to focus on Physics GRE much. I am open for suggestions on the choice of universities I have made and any additional suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Fifth Year BS-MS Student,

Congratulations on your achievements and for considering graduate school in the field of ECE. Your CGPA and GRE scores are impressive, and I am confident that you will have a successful application process.

Your list of universities is a good start, and I would say it is a well-rounded mix of both top-ranked schools and programs that align with your interests. However, I would suggest that you also consider a few other factors when finalizing your list.

Firstly, I would recommend researching the faculty members and their research areas at each university. It is important to find a program that has faculty working in your specific area of interest, as this will greatly enhance your graduate experience and increase your chances of securing research opportunities.

Secondly, I would suggest considering the location of the university. Graduate school is a significant commitment, and it is important to choose a location that you will be comfortable living in for the next few years. This could also play a role in the cost of living and potential job opportunities in the area after graduation.

Lastly, I would advise you to not completely disregard the Physics GRE. While it may not be a requirement for some ECE programs, a strong score can still make your application stand out and demonstrate your proficiency in the field.

Overall, I believe your list is a good starting point, but I would recommend doing some more research and potentially adding a few more universities to your list. Best of luck with your applications!

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a list of schools for an MS to apply for a PhD program in Optics?

The key factors to consider are the reputation and ranking of the program, the faculty and their research interests, the availability of funding and resources, the curriculum and course offerings, and the location and overall environment of the university.

2. Are there any specific universities or programs that are known for their excellence in Optics research?

Yes, there are several universities and programs that are renowned for their excellence in Optics research, such as the University of Arizona, the University of Rochester, and the University of California - Berkeley.

3. Is it necessary to have a Master's degree in Optics to be eligible for a PhD program?

While having a Master's degree in Optics may give you an advantage, it is not always a requirement for admission into a PhD program. Many universities also offer direct PhD programs for students with a Bachelor's degree in a related field.

4. What is the typical application process for a PhD program in Optics?

The typical application process involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement or statement of purpose, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require a research proposal or writing sample.

5. How important are research opportunities and internships in the decision-making process for a PhD program in Optics?

Research opportunities and internships are highly valuable experiences that can enhance your application and make you a stronger candidate for a PhD program. They also provide valuable hands-on experience and networking opportunities in the field of Optics.