Question: Does Epsilon = i A^+/p^+ for Zwiebach Page 178?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, Zwiebach states that the gauge epsilon = i A^+/p^+ results in the vanishing of the vector potential component A^+. However, this seems to contradict the properties of epsilon being infinitesimal and constant. It is clarified that epsilon is actually an arbitrary function of coordinates, as mentioned in Section 3.3 on page 43.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Below equation 10.77, Zwiebach claims that the gauge epsilon = i A^+/p^+ makes the vector potential component A^+ vanish.

However, I thought epsilon was supposed to be infinitesimal and a constant, both of which are violated by setting epsilon equal to the expression?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought epsilon was supposed to be infinitesimal and a constant, both of which are violated by setting epsilon equal to the expression?
Actually, just above equation (10.68) on page 177, he refers you back to Section 3.3 where on page 43, just below equation (3.19) he writes that epsilon is an arbitrary function of the coordinates.

I see. Thanks.

1. What is Epsilon?

Epsilon is a mathematical symbol commonly used to represent a small or infinitesimal quantity.

2. What is i?

i is the imaginary unit, defined as the square root of -1 in the complex number system. It is often used in equations involving complex numbers.

3. What do A^+ and p^+ represent?

A^+ and p^+ are operators in quantum mechanics that represent the creation and annihilation of particles, respectively.

4. What is the significance of Epsilon = i A^+/p^+ for Zwiebach Page 178?

This equation represents a relationship between the operators A^+ and p^+ and the imaginary unit i in the context of quantum mechanics, as discussed in page 178 of the book "A First Course in String Theory" by Barton Zwiebach.

5. How is this equation used in science?

This equation is used in the study of quantum mechanics, specifically in the context of string theory. It helps to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions at a very small scale, providing insight into the fundamental laws of the universe.