Static electricity and circuit breakers

In summary, it is common for residual charge to be left on breakers when they are isolated from the power supply. This charge can be deadly if test voltages are left on the breaker for a long period of time.
magmash
Hi

I have seen electric technicians while racking out high tension circuit breakers, use a wire that has one end grounded and they use the other end to touch the bus bars on the breaker in case of a static charger, they carry out this procedure before they do any work on the CB in case they get shocked by a static charge, is it necessary to carry out such a procedure even tho the breaker is completely isolated ?

How can static charge be built in a case like that, where there is no friction ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
...is it necessary to carry out such a procedure even tho the breaker is completely isolated ?
That's like asking if it is necessary to always assume that a gun is loaded.

How can static charge be built in a case like that, where there is no friction ?
Charge can also be induced.

The main point is that the workers have no idea what has been happening to the component.

Large power transformers can have a lot of capacitance between the windings and the core and the metal case.

This capacitance gets charged and discharged from the voltages on the windings in normal operation.
If the supply is removed rapidly some residual charge could be left on the capacitance from the winding to its metal surroundings.

This capacitance can be deadly when transformers are being tested. Large DC voltages are used to test transformer breakdown capability and if this is not carefully discharged, it can persist for days.

Someone was killed about 20 years ago by a transformer which was still holding a charge two days after high voltage testing.

A few points : In general I would not refer to this as static, but residual charge - because the insulation on Medium (600-72KV) and High Voltage ( >72KV) - although I do not know of any rack out HV breakers... ok back on track, because of the very high insulation, it is typical / common to have a residual charge left on the breakers conductors.
As a matter of practice - safety policy etc... EVERY conductor you touch MUST be grounded..discharged first. You do not touch ANYTHING unless you KNOW ( not just think) it is safe.
-- A note back on the HV systems, it is also common for just the wind to leave a static charge on UNGROUNDED conductors - large transformers have pumped oil cooling systems, also a problem.

I think I would add "don't touch it anyway".

I have seen these charges build up again even after being discharged.

You can always use insulated pliers etc to keep your fingers away from potential danger.

"Do not touch" does not really work if you have to work ON the breaker - the disconnect points (stabs/receivers) are cleaned and this is where many of the test connections are made. Once dawn out of the cubicle, and discharged - there is little risk, make on these is 36KV Class, up to about 3000A - I have not seen draw out breakers higher voltage than that. - Although we used to wrap a wire or have light alligator jumpers on all points not under test - these can get induced V from hi-pot testing.

1. What is static electricity?

Static electricity is a type of electrical charge that builds up on the surface of an object. It occurs when there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges, causing electrons to transfer from one object to another.

2. How is static electricity created?

Static electricity is created when two objects rub against each other, causing electrons to transfer from one object to the other. This can also occur when an object comes into contact with an electrically charged material, such as a balloon rubbed against hair.

3. How do circuit breakers work?

Circuit breakers are safety devices that are designed to protect electrical circuits from overloading and short circuits. They work by detecting when there is too much current flowing through the circuit and then automatically shutting off the flow of electricity to prevent damage or fire.

4. What causes a circuit breaker to trip?

A circuit breaker will trip when it detects an overload or a short circuit in the electrical circuit. An overload occurs when there is too much current flowing through the circuit, while a short circuit occurs when there is a direct connection between the hot and neutral wires.

5. How can static electricity affect circuit breakers?

Static electricity can affect circuit breakers by causing them to trip unexpectedly. This can happen if there is a buildup of static electricity on the surface of the circuit breaker, which can interfere with its proper functioning. To prevent this, it is important to keep the circuit breaker clean and free of any static buildup.