I get a shock when touching water pipe

In summary, touching a water pipe can result in a shock due to "electric shock drowning," which occurs when an electrical current enters a body of water. To prevent this, it is important to ensure proper grounding of electrical appliances and outlets near water sources, avoid using electronics near water, and have regular electrical inspections. Even a small shock can be harmful and should be taken seriously. The shock from a water pipe is not the same as being struck by lightning, but both can be dangerous. If you experience a shock from a water pipe, seek medical attention and have your home's electrical system inspected.
adisabeba
I am living in an apartment and suddenly we started to get an electric shock, at random, when touching a water tap. Since I am an Electrical Technician, I started

my research on the origin of the problem, and after carrying out a series of tests I found out 'at the end' that turning off all the breakers (in the breaker box) and measuring the voltage between each hot wire and the metal box surface I got a full 120 V reading! The other tests I made were the following:

1- I turned off all the breakers and then turned each back on, and then off, sequentially and measuring the voltage at the corresponding outlet. In all

the cases I got a full 120V between the water pipe and the hot wire at the outlet. With this test I wanted to verify any leaking voltage of each breaker line.

2- When testing the heater line (turning its breaker on), I found out that there was a 90 V reading between the hot wire and each of the two ends of the

water heater resistance; of course, after I set apart the cables.

So, the only clue I have is the breaker box-to-hot-wires voltage, and I wonder where and how the water line and the electrical metallic conduits shake hands. Any help?
Thanks

I was not really sure whether to add comments to my previous post regarding the problem I reported, since it was closed with not right to reply and suggesting the get an electrical technician. In such cases, I would suggest the Administrator of this site to leave the door open, so the poster could reply whether or not he has solved the problem. In my case, I did solve the problem by myself and I am an Electrical Technician... Anyway, just for helping the audience with similar issues, "the problem was caused by my old refrigerator(1) and it was solved by swapping the electric plug position: the plug-outlet hot and neutral position must coincide." The electrical shock existed because the fridge's inlet water valve is connected to a copper tube and this to an external water filter. So, having a faulty fridge electrical issue, it explains the electric shock. I was really worried about the high life-threatening risk I was on, but it is luckily over.

Regards.

1- Whirlpool 8ED25DQXXN00

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a bad Earth somewhere. My guess is that the case of the heater has an Earth wire connected to it but the other end of that Earth wire or the Earth for the whole place is bad. You might be seeing capacitive coupling between hot and this floating Earth wire. In effect the disconnected Earth wire is acting like an aerial and is picking up 80-120v and making it appears on exposed metal that is meant to be earthed.

PS This is quite a dangerous situation. You should get a qualified electrician to look at it. Have him show you the problem if you want to learn.

So, do you have 240 coming into your house ? Here in the US we get 240 3 phase which appears as 120 if you look at either of the hot sides versus neutral (ground). Anyway, I assume your breaker box is grounded and so is the water tap unless the pipe is plastic. So it is strange that you would get shocked and potentially dangerous. Also, do you have Ground Fault Interrupters? Well , they ain't workin! Like you said, it could be leakage which a high impedance meter would read as full scale. Interesting problem. If you never respond again, I will know what happened... :H

adisabeba said:
I am living in an apartment and suddenly we started to get an electric shock, at random, when touching a water tap. Since I am an Electrical Technician, I started

my research on the origin of the problem, and after carrying out a series of tests I found out 'at the end' that turning off all the breakers (in the breaker box) and measuring the voltage between each hot wire and the metal box surface I got a full 120 V reading! The other tests I made were the following:

1- I turned off all the breakers and then turned each back on, and then off, sequentially and measuring the voltage at the corresponding outlet. In all

the cases I got a full 120V between the water pipe and the hot wire at the outlet. With this test I wanted to verify any leaking voltage of each breaker line.

2- When testing the heater line (turning its breaker on), I found out that there was a 90 V reading between the hot wire and each of the two ends of the

water heater resistance; of course, after I set apart the cables.

So, the only clue I have is the breaker box-to-hot-wires voltage, and I wonder where and how the water line and the electrical metallic conduits shake hands. Any help?
Thanks
In cases like this you must employ a qualified electrician to diagnose and fix the fault, and you should do so immediately.

Thread closed.

1. Why do I get a shock when I touch a water pipe?

This is likely due to a phenomenon known as "electric shock drowning." When an electrical current leaks into a body of water, it can cause a person to experience an electric shock when they touch something in the water, such as a metal water pipe. This can be extremely dangerous and even fatal.

2. How can I prevent getting shocked when touching a water pipe?

To prevent electric shock, it is important to make sure that all electrical appliances and outlets near water sources are properly grounded. Avoid using electronics near water and be cautious when swimming in areas with electrical devices or power lines nearby. It is also important to have your home's electrical system inspected regularly to ensure safety.

3. Can a small electric shock from a water pipe be harmful?

Yes, even a small electric shock can be harmful. The severity of the shock depends on the amount of current and the path it takes through the body. Even a small shock can cause muscle spasms, difficulty breathing, and in extreme cases, cardiac arrest. It is important to take precautions to avoid any risk of electric shock.

4. Is the shock from a water pipe the same as being struck by lightning?

No, the shock from a water pipe is not the same as being struck by lightning. While both involve electricity, a shock from a water pipe is typically caused by a lower voltage and does not have the same intensity as a lightning strike. However, both can be dangerous and should be taken seriously.

5. What should I do if I get shocked when touching a water pipe?

If you experience an electric shock from a water pipe, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Even if you do not feel any immediate effects, the shock could have caused internal injuries that need to be treated. It is also important to have the electrical system in your home inspected to prevent future shocks.