Resonance (Differential Equations Class)

In summary, The conversation focuses on finding the speed at which resonance vibrations occur in a front-loading washing machine mounted on a rubber pad. The weight of the machine depresses the pad by 0.38 cm and the rotor exerts a vertical force on the machine. Through calculating the force equation and using the values for gravity and displacement, the resulting equation for \omega is incorrect due to a mistake in entering the value for x. The correct value for \omega is 485 rpm.
dashkin111
[SOLVED] Resonance (Differential Equations Class)

Homework Statement

A front-loading washing machine is mounted on a thick rubber pad that acts like a spring; the weight W = mg (with g = 9.8 m/s^2) of the machine depresses the pad exactly 0.38 cm. When its rotor spins at \omega radians per second, the rotor exerts a vertical force
F_0 cos(omega t)
Newtons on the machine. Neglecting friction, determine at what speed (in revolutions per minute) resonance vibrations will occur?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to just set it up like a force equation in physics.

[tex]
F=ma[/tex]
[tex]
kx=mg
[/tex]

Now solve for [tex]\omega[/tex] which is [tex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{k}{m}=\frac{g}{x}=\omega^{2}[/tex]

So omega is:

[tex]\frac{35\sqrt{10}}{2}[/tex]

Transform to rpms

[tex]RPMS = \omega \frac{(60)}{2\pi}[/tex]

Which to the nearest RPM is 528. But this is wrong. Any clues?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to recalculate omega, or better give the values you used to find omega.

Yes, I'm confused as to where you got these numbers. Doing the same calculations I don't get the same result...

dashkin111 said:
So omega is:

[tex]\frac{35\sqrt{10}}{2}[/tex]

Transform to rpms

[tex]RPMS = \omega \frac{(60)}{2\pi}[/tex]

Which to the nearest RPM is 528. But this is wrong. Any clues?

My suspicion is insufficient precision, for one thing. Also, where did 35/2 come from?

Okay, found my mistake and I'll also show more steps now too.

So from the part:

[tex]\frac{k}{m}=\frac{g}{x}[/tex]

k/m is omega squared. G is given as 9.8 m/s^2 and x is given as .38 cm, or .0038 m.

Solving for Omega you get:

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} = \sqrt{\frac{g}{x}}= \sqrt{\frac{9.8}{.0038}}[/tex]

This is where my mistake is, I mistakenly entered .0032 instead of .0038 in my calculator and got the previous result.

BTW it was 485 rpm's

1. What is resonance in the context of differential equations?

Resonance in the context of differential equations refers to the phenomenon where a system's response to an input signal is maximized at a specific frequency. This occurs when the natural frequency of the system matches the frequency of the input signal.

2. How is resonance related to differential equations?

Resonance is related to differential equations because it can be mathematically described and analyzed using differential equations. Specifically, the differential equation that governs the behavior of a system can be solved to determine the system's natural frequency and how it responds to different input signals.

3. What are some real-world examples of resonance?

Some common examples of resonance in real-world systems include a swing, a tuning fork, a guitar string, and a radio antenna. These systems all have a natural frequency at which they vibrate or oscillate, and can be set into resonance by an external force at the same frequency.

4. How can resonance be harmful in some cases?

Resonance can be harmful in some cases, such as in the case of bridge collapses or building failures. This is because external forces, such as strong winds or earthquakes, can cause the structure to vibrate at its natural frequency, leading to excessive stresses and potential failure.

5. How can resonance be mitigated or controlled?

Resonance can be mitigated or controlled by adjusting the frequency of the input signal or by changing the natural frequency of the system. In some cases, adding damping or stiffness to the system can also help to reduce the effects of resonance. Additionally, careful design and construction of structures can prevent resonance from occurring in the first place.