Which Software is Best for CFD: Fortran vs C

In summary, if you are looking to learn a programming language that will help with CFD, both Fortran and C are good options. However, since a lot of legacy code is written in Fortran, it may be beneficial to start with that language. Once you have a good understanding of Fortran, transitioning to other languages should be easier.
sashankhrao
Can someone pls advise me as to which would be the better software to learn which would help in CFD - Fortran or C or something else?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
They are both similar, it really depends on the industry IMHO. Everything that I've worked on (Air Force's Research Lab's FDL3Di, NASA's BASS Code) is coded in FORTRAN. However, I've talked to people working in private industry that do a lot in C++.

Since so much legacy code is written in FORTRAN, I would recommend starting there. Once you have the understanding on one major programming language, adapting to another should be relatively easy.

Hi,

Thanks again for your help. I will begin my coding with Fortran.

Regards,
Sashankh

1. What is the difference between using Fortran and C for CFD?

The main difference between using Fortran and C for CFD is the programming language itself. Fortran is a language that is specifically designed for scientific and engineering applications, making it well-suited for CFD simulations. C, on the other hand, is a general-purpose language that requires more manual coding for scientific computations. This can make Fortran a more efficient and user-friendly choice for CFD applications.

2. Which language is faster for CFD simulations - Fortran or C?

Fortran is generally considered to be faster for CFD simulations compared to C. This is because Fortran is designed for scientific computations and has built-in features for handling complex mathematical operations efficiently. However, with advances in compiler technology, the performance difference between Fortran and C has become less significant.

3. Can I use both Fortran and C in the same CFD simulation?

Yes, it is possible to use both Fortran and C in the same CFD simulation. This is known as mixed-language programming and can be useful for taking advantage of the strengths of both languages. However, it requires extra effort and expertise in programming and may not always result in significant performance improvements.

4. Are there any specific features or tools that are only available in Fortran or C for CFD?

There are certain features and tools that are only available in Fortran or C for CFD, but they can often be replicated in the other language with additional coding. For example, Fortran has built-in support for parallel computing, while C has a wider range of libraries for data manipulation and visualization. It is important to evaluate the specific needs of your CFD project and choose the language that best suits those needs.

5. Which language is more commonly used for CFD - Fortran or C?

Fortran has traditionally been the more commonly used language for CFD simulations due to its efficiency and built-in features for scientific computations. However, with the rise of more user-friendly programming languages and advances in compiler technology, C is becoming increasingly popular for CFD applications as well. Ultimately, the choice between Fortran and C will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the user.