Install oomph-lib, a CFD opensource software

In summary, the conversation is about the steps to install an open-source CFD software on Ubuntu. The first step is to download the tar file from a specific website, and then use the command "tar xvfz" to extract the file. The person is unsure if they should move the tar file to a different location before extracting it. A suggestion is made to create a new directory and extract the tar file there to avoid any potential conflicts with existing files or directories.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm trying to follow these instructions to install an open-source CFD software on Ubuntu:

http://oomph-lib.maths.man.ac.uk/doc/the_distribution/html/index.html#download

After downloading the tar file http://oomph-lib.maths.man.ac.uk/tar_file_directory/, I type the command

>> tar xvfz oomph-lib-1.0.1306.tar.gz

which is the first step in the above link (the numbers match the tar file I have). However, I'm typing this into the terminal which is in my home/josh directory. The tar file is in downloads. I know I sound like a super noob (and I am) but should I move the tar file somewhere else before trying to open it?

I just don't want to mess anything up. Thanks so much!

Technology news on Phys.org
I would do a listing of the tar first to see what you have.

Usually tar xvf will install the tar relative to your current directory.

To be safe you should make a new directory, cd to the directory and then expand the tar there. Why? because its a new directory and the tar won't clobber any files or directories you may have with matching names.

Likes member 428835

1. What is oomph-lib and what is its purpose?

Oomph-lib is a CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) open-source software used for solving complex fluid flow problems. Its purpose is to provide a user-friendly platform for researchers to simulate and analyze fluid flow phenomena in various engineering applications.

2. How do I install oomph-lib on my computer?

The installation process for oomph-lib may vary depending on your operating system. However, the general steps include downloading the source code, configuring and compiling it, and setting up the environment variables. Detailed instructions can be found on the official oomph-lib website.

3. Can oomph-lib be used for both 2D and 3D simulations?

Yes, oomph-lib supports both 2D and 3D simulations. It also has the capability to handle unstructured meshes, making it suitable for a wide range of fluid flow problems.

4. Is oomph-lib only limited to CFD simulations?

No, oomph-lib also has the capability to handle FSI (Fluid-Structure Interaction) simulations, making it suitable for studying the interaction between fluids and solid structures.

5. Is oomph-lib free to use?

Yes, oomph-lib is an open-source software and is free to use for both commercial and non-commercial purposes. However, it is always recommended to check the license agreement before using it for commercial applications.