Weight & Buoyancy: Will the Measured Weight Be Less?

In summary, according to Archimedes' principle, a block of wood floating in a beaker of water experiences an upward buoyant force. If the beaker with the water and floating block were weighed, the measured weight would be less than the sum of the weights of the individual components. This is because the buoyant force acts as a negative force that subtracts from the weight. The total matter remains the same between the two weighings, so the weight will also remain the same. The reason the block floats is due to its density, but this does not affect the overall weight of the system.
krayziemuzick

Homework Statement

A block of wood floats in a beaker of water. According to Archimedes' principle, the block experiences, an upward bouyant force. If the beaker wit the water and floating block were weighted, would the measured weight be less than the sum of the weights of the individual components? Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So here is what I am thinking, I think the weight would be less. If weight is mg but there is a negative force acting through the bouyancy force this should be subtracted, making it less than the sum of the individuals. If my thinking right? Its the weekend and I didn't want to wait until monday :)

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you had a bucket full of rice? Do you think it will weigh differently if you place a block on top of the rice or bury it in the rice or weight the bucket and the block separately?

I suppose then it wouldn't matter at all. So then even though there is a force pushing the block up keeping it a float, the mass of the block is still being pushed down making the whole thing weight the same as the sum of the individuals..

The reason the block floats is a property of the matter - density. But the total matter is not determined by the density.

The total matter does however determine the weight. Since you are not creating or destroying matter between the two weighings ...

makes sense, I suppose I was trying to think too much about the question tricking me. Thank you for the help.

1. What is the difference between weight and buoyancy?

Weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object, while buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as water) on an object immersed in it.

2. Why does an object weigh less when submerged in water?

An object weighs less when submerged in water because the upward force of buoyancy counteracts and reduces the downward force of gravity on the object.

3. Is the measured weight of an object submerged in water accurate?

Yes, the measured weight of an object submerged in water is accurate because it takes into account the reduction in weight due to the buoyant force.

4. How does the density of an object affect its weight and buoyancy?

The density of an object affects its weight and buoyancy because objects with higher densities will sink in a fluid with lower density, while objects with lower densities will float.

5. Can an object have negative weight when submerged in water?

No, an object cannot have negative weight when submerged in water. While the weight may be reduced due to buoyancy, it will always have a positive value.