Exploring the Relationship Between Buoyancy and Apparent Mass

In summary: Try using 1000 kg/m3 for the density of water. Also, there are typos in the numbers you posted. The correct numbers are in your answer. I can't follow your work. You don't seem to be following the pattern I have explained.
TkoT
Homework Statement
A cylindrical beaker of mass mb = 1.3 kg contains 1.5 x 10^3 ml of water. The beaker is placed on a scale and then a rock of mass mr = 2.2 kg, suspended by a massless string, is totally immersed in the water. The water level rises by 1.5 cm. The diameter of the beaker is 0.2m
a) What mass does the scale measure before the rock is lowered into the water?
b) What mass does the scale measure after the rock is lowered into the water?
Relevant Equations
F=mg
my solution:
a)
Screenshot 2023-01-05 082847.png

F(upward)=Fb +Fw
=(1.3+1.5)X9.8
=27.44N
total Mass = 2.8kg
b)
123.png

Volume increased = π(0.2/2)^2 x 1.5/100
=4.7x10-4 m^3

T+Fb =mg
T=mg-Fb
T=2.2x9.8 -1000 x 4.7x10-4 x 9.8
T=17.4N
T is the apparent weight of the rock, so the mass of the rock in the water is 1.74kg
So, the total mass measured by the scale = 1.74 +2.8 = 4.54kg

Question:
I am confused about the part b after I checked the answer. For me, I think the tension represents the apparent weight of the rock. So apparent mass of the rock can be obtained by the tension. But, In the answer, buoyant force is considered as the extra weight added to the scale. That confuses me and I don’t understand why.

answer attached below

Attachments

• answer1.png
    answer1.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 50
  • answer2.png
    answer2.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 56
  • answer3.png
    answer3.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TkoT said:
Homework Statement:: A cylindrical beaker of mass mb = 1.3 kg contains 1.5 x 10^3 ml of water. The beaker is placed on a scale and then a rock of mass mr = 2.2 kg, suspended by a massless string, is totally immersed in the water. The water level rises by 1.5 cm. The diameter of the beaker is 0.2m
a) What mass does the scale measure before the rock is lowered into the water?
b) What mass does the scale measure after the rock is lowered into the water?
Relevant Equations:: F=mg

That confuses me and I don’t understand why.
Without the rock the scale reads just the weight of the water, ##m_{\text{water}}g##. When the rock is placed under water, the water exerts buoyant force BF up. By Newton's 3rd law, the rock exerts force BF down on the water. The scale reads the sum of the two because it must exert normal force ##N=BF+m_{\text{water}}g## up to keep the water from accelerating.

Likes TkoT
You seem to be using 9.8m/s2 for g in some places and 10m/s2 in others.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How is buoyancy related to apparent mass?

Apparent mass is the measure of the mass of an object that is submerged in a fluid, taking into account the buoyant force acting on it. The apparent mass is equal to the actual mass of the object minus the weight of the fluid it displaces.

3. What factors affect the relationship between buoyancy and apparent mass?

The relationship between buoyancy and apparent mass is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. The greater the density of the fluid, the greater the buoyant force and the lower the apparent mass. Similarly, the larger the volume of the object, the greater the buoyant force and the lower the apparent mass. The acceleration due to gravity also plays a role, as it affects the weight of the fluid being displaced.

4. How can we measure the relationship between buoyancy and apparent mass?

The relationship between buoyancy and apparent mass can be measured by conducting experiments in which the apparent mass of an object is measured in different fluids with varying densities. By analyzing the data, we can determine the effect of buoyancy on the apparent mass of the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of the relationship between buoyancy and apparent mass?

The relationship between buoyancy and apparent mass is important in many real-life applications, such as shipbuilding, designing submarines and other underwater vehicles, and understanding the behavior of objects in water. It is also relevant in understanding the movement of air and gases, as they also exert buoyant forces on objects. Additionally, the concept of buoyancy is used in industries such as oil and gas, where it is important to accurately measure the weight of fluids being extracted from the ground.