Multiplying Complex Numbers: Understanding the Two Methods

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation x^2 + 3x + 7 and its complex roots. The speaker is trying to evaluate the x^2 term in two different ways, but is having difficulty. They mention two methods that should work and mention the use of the quadratic formula. The conversation ends with a question about why the topic is in number theory.
Square1
Ok there is no way I am writing out all the work of this question using a keyboard, and my scanner chose today not to work ( yes, it chose to be an idiot and not work *VERY* grumpy face) so I can't upload a picture of my work. If I were to type out the following it think it would be very difficult to read SOOO I will try to make a description as friendly as possible.

I have the equation x^2 + 3x + 7
It has complex roots x = -2/3 + i√19 and x = -2/3 - i√19

I try evaluating these roots by plugging them back in. I try it two ways, and I am only trying out right now the positive root. I am having a problem already at the x^2 term.

THE PROBLEM:
To multiply the positive root by itself, I first try the "from the ground up" method of just distributing, and eventually making a substitution of -1 for i^2. After making that substitution, the point is that I end up subtracting the term that had the i^2, from 9/4. After simplifying, I have real component -10/4 and complex component (-6i√19)/4

The second way I try to evaluate x^2 term is by using the multiplication definition of complex numbers (a + bi)(c + di) = (ac - bd) + (bc + ad)i . This results in me ADDING the same kind of complex part to the same real part...and

Physics news on Phys.org
Both methods should work, everything you've computed so far is correct. If you add (3x+7) to what you've computed for x^2 you get 0.

Sorry i misclicked and posted before I was finished. The new thread is right above.

Square1 said:
I have the equation x^2 + 3x + 7
It has complex roots x = -2/3 + i√19 and x = -2/3 - i√19
Try -3/2 ± i√(19)/2

Why is this in number theory? By the way, like haruspex noticed, you are working with the wrong roots, by using the quadratic formula you should have got
[tex]\frac{-3}{2}\pm\frac{i\sqrt{19}}{2}[/tex]

P.S. just practicing typing in latex

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are composed of both real and imaginary parts. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1).

2. How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you multiply them in the same way as you would multiply polynomials. First, distribute each term in the first number to every term in the second number. Then, combine like terms and simplify if necessary.

3. What is the product of two imaginary numbers?

The product of two imaginary numbers is always a real number. For example, if you multiply 2i by 3i, the product would be -6, which is a real number.

4. Can you multiply a complex number by a real number?

Yes, you can multiply a complex number by a real number. To do so, simply distribute the real number to each term in the complex number, just like you would with polynomials.

5. What is the geometric interpretation of multiplying complex numbers?

The geometric interpretation of multiplying complex numbers is that it results in a rotation and a scaling of the complex plane. The magnitude of the product is the product of the two magnitudes, and the angle of the product is the sum of the two angles.